ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone know why tics are not as responsive to IVIG?

This brings up a question. Are all tics the same? Are OCD-related tics any different than non-OCD tics or classic Tourettes?

texas dad -- did you see a video posted by - i think - EAmom? it was very good. it was a young woman discussing her tics and her thoughts on tics. i don't know if there's anything such as studies or thinking in the medical world to back up her theory about differnet types of tics -- but i found it very interesting b/c it described my son.

for a while -- i said my son did not have any tics -- i saw eye-blinking one time for about 3 seconds at on-set. however, he has sometimes made mouth noises that may be tics. he's also done a mouth wiping on the sleeve thing. for him, i believe his OCD is more of the "just right" variety -- there's not really a complicated web of thoughts to avert with compulsions. he's basically doing the compulsions b/c that makes things "right" -- w/o much more to it. this woman terms it "autistic tics" -- i guess it would be a type of stimming -- i don't know too much about that term -- but done to comfort or regulate. it's not really an involuntary movement -- although the whole thing is not consciously thought out.

if your interested, i can find that link for you b/c i found it very interesting.

Thanks. Never saw the video, though. If you come across it, I'd be interested in watching it.

I understand that the Yale-Swedo study is excluding kids with primarily tics as there have been negative outcomes from IVIG and tics. IF, IF, IF this is all caused by the same thing (ie., tics, ocd, fine motor, sep. anx.) then why would tics not be as responsive to IVIG?

We had a very positive response to IVIG. ds9's tics are 99% gone. He has some mild OCD remaining. dd13's tics are significantly improved. She did not have OCD symptoms. We will be repeating IVIG with her to try to get her closer to 100%.

I can not always figure out is my daughter is having complex tics or compulsions at times, so this makes absolute sense to me. When I spoke with screener at Yale I was just told that OCD had to be primary. I did not feel that they were saying that those with tics were excluded, just couldn't be primary, as my daughter is.