ACN Latitudes Forums

How do you take your doxy?

My bottle says take on empty stomach, but someone told me their LLMD said it does not matter. I find that when I don't eat with it, that I get really queasy. Am I defeating the purpose to eat a little something with it?

my son HAD to take this with food. I think there are certain food to avoid - because they limit absorbtion - but others that may be OK (might even be some that increase absorbtion - kinda remember soemthing about that). You can google it. I'm pretty sure milk products and ant acids limit absorbtion - can't remember exactly, but my son (and I when I did the orovocation testing) HAD to take it with food. Its "better tolerated" because it uses the bowel instead of the liver - but I think it causes more stomach upset because of that too.

ALSO - I've seen this posted on the board as well as was recommended by my LLMD -for "herxing" - (and I need to tell him) - You should not take antiacids with this. He recommended alka seltzer gold(the one without the asprin) - and specificatlly on the label there was a "Do not take antacids" warning. This wan't Dr H - it was another practicionaer in his office, and he probably didn't realize we were on Doryx when I asked for what to do for herxing.

I looked it up - it isn't a dangerous interaction, it just makes it absorb less.

Can't tell if you're referring to me or not! I'm typing on my phone so sorry in advance for any typos. Mine said it was preferrable to take it on an empty stomach, but, like you, it didn't bode well in the queasy department. All of the absorption tips sound awesome! I usually just eat a little snack with it, not a whole meal or anything big/heavy like that.

I am in a rush so I didn't get to read all the other posts but my LLMD told me specifically to IGNORE the label that says take on an empty stomach. He told me to take w/ meals! He said I will feel terrible (queasy) if I don't. I got really sick one night when I took meds on an empty stomach. :(

Definitely take after food and I had to make sure I didn't lay down for at least 1/2 hour after taking or I would get heartburn!

I am in a rush so I didn't get to read all the other posts but my LLMD told me specifically to IGNORE the label that says take on an empty stomach. He told me to take w/ meals! He said I will feel terrible (queasy) if I don't. I got really sick one night when I took meds on an empty stomach. :(

We have to take it with food to avoid major stomach upset. We also always take it in the middle of a meal.

I personally need some form of carb with it, my son needs protein with his.

Try not to lay down for at least an hour after you take it bc Doxy can cause bad burning reflux. (found out the hard way!)

As others posted, take away from antacids, dairy, magnesium etc.

From WebMD

This medication is best taken by mouth on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal, usually 1 or 2 times daily or as directed by your doctor. Take this medication with a full glass of water (8 ounces/240 milliliters) unless directed otherwise. If stomach upset occurs, taking it with food or milk may help. However, doxycycline may not work as well if you take it with food or milk (or anything high in calcium - more details below ), so ask your doctor or pharmacist if you may take it that way. Do not lie down for 10 minutes after taking this medication.

Take this medication 2 to 3 hours before or after taking any products containing aluminum, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, or bismuth subsalicylate. Some examples include antacids, certain forms of didanosine (chewable/dispersible buffered tablets or pediatric oral solution), quinapril, vitamins/minerals, dairy products (such as milk, yogurt), and calcium-enriched juice. These products bind with doxycycline, preventing your body from fully absorbing the drug.

Basically, try to take it with something low in minerals, but know that it is available in formulations as a calcium salt (doxy attached to calcium) because it does not bind all that tightly so I wouldn't get too uptight about it.

I've been giving it w/our high dose vit d and glutathione. I can split this though, since I am not on that many things. Will keep that in mind going forward- THANKS!!!

I've been taking it earlier in the evening- like 5pm instead of before bed, since I was feeling restless legs from it. The past two nights, I have had heartburn after taking the double dose in the evenings, but it's not terrible (yet.)