ACN Latitudes Forums

Another new symptom?

As I've mentioned a couple of times before, we were hit with strep again about 3-4 weeks ago. Things have been very different this time around from previous presentations. Lot's of new behaviors and quirks, a few of which I've posted before.

On Saturday, he woke up and seemed fine, a bit on edge, wanting everything in 3's, but fairly manageable. He freaked out about getting dressed (nothing new), and since we were meeting ALL of my visitng in-laws for a day out at the zoo, we slipped him a Motrin just to be on the safe side.

The zoo was fine, a few minor hiccups, but nothing more than you'd expect from any 3 year old at the zoo. We went to dinner at a local patio bar/restaurant on the river afterwards, and here's where it got weird. The best way to describe his behaior was "manic."

They had a little outdoor game area where there were some other kids playing, so ours went and joined in. He was super hyper, running around like crazy, but there were 2 other boys his age doing the same thing - not ideal behavior, but he wasn't the only one and they weren't bothering anyone, so no biggie. Then, he started hugging everyone. Not just people we were with, or the other children, but random strangers as they walked by.

You can understand our concern. Everytime we turned around he was chasing some stranger down to hug them. This coming from the kid who has had SEVERE social anxiety with every other episode we've had, where he cowers even from people he knows. We kept extolling the dangers of hugging strangers, and if he wanted to give hugs, there was a tableful of family eager to recieve. No dice - he kept insisting he wasn't hugging strangers, that he knew all of these people...totally strange.

Anyone see this one before? Compulsive hugging?? of strangers??

my ds did not go as far as hugging, but i think it's a version of the same symptom. he would touch people -- one time, he kept trying to walk circles around a man in a coffee shop and touch his foot or leg. he also did a wierd thing where he'd be overly interested in strangers and try to engage them in a wierd way -- it's hard to explain, like "hey lady, what 'cha doin'?" said in a very wierd way. i remember someone else posting their child did this also.

i don't know if it's a type of impulsive behavior or where it really fits but i think it's definitely a symptom.

When my son was little (3ish--he's 7 now), he would do the hugging. We were undx'd then. Would do it at Gymboree with other kids mostly tho'...you'd think that'd be more normal than it is. Kids hugging other kids. But we would always be apologizing for it. Whew.

Jesse wants to be the center of attention now too...will bug people to look at him & stuff. We homeschool, so he probably does need more social opportunities (but we're also PANDAS, so that ain't gonna be happenin' anytime soon.) And I'm that weird lady that will strike up a conversation with you in the middle of Target because I need more social opportunities since I'm SAHM, homeschooler, PANDAS Mom. ;) I don't hug people tho'...too many germs!

Edited by SarahJane