ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin vs Zith

Thanks, Karen!

This article is from 2002 and the studies were prior to that. I pulled out this quote:

"But erythromycin-resistant strep has been seen at very high rates in several European countries and in Japan. ''We've talked about this for years,'' Dr. Martin said, ''and now it's here. We can't sit back and say, 'Not us.' It's clearly here.''

I just can't see why "here" would only apply to the East Coast? If it can get from Finland and Japan to the East Coast surely in the past decade it's made its way to the Golden Coast, no? I mean, just on this thread of 8 families Kari took zith-resistant strep back to CA, right?

The article also said the less macrolides are prescribed in a community, the incidence of macrolide resistant strep drops significantly. Do most East Coast docs have a habit of over-prescribing macrolides more than their mid-west and west coast counterparts?

I once found an article on pub med about this, and it only mentioned erythromycin as being resistant, but said because of that, all macrolides should be considered to have some strains of strep resistant to them. I can't seem to find it now.

This is all I know about it -- sorry.

Jill...as to it spreading....I am sure you saw this ....

''The Pittsburgh clone or other resistant strains may already have spread elsewhere,'' Dr. Huovinen said. ''This macrolide resistance situation has to be determined everywhere in the United States.''

Edited by P.Mom