ACN Latitudes Forums

canker sores in a 5 year old?

I have another thread going but I have a specific question that I thought might get lost in the thread.

My 5 year old that might possibly have PANDAS has 2 canker sores. He is having a really bad time the last 2 days. any Idea what this could mean? I think this is strange

My girls get canker sores every time they are sick. They used to get them all the time but not as much now. They have been diagnosed with PANDAS but also are now being treated for Lyme. My dd9 also had positive HHV6 titers. I think there is a connection with the canker sores to what is going on with the kids. I assume lyme is our overall underlying issue, but we won't know until after treatment if the pandas is still around.

Susan

My ds was getting canker sores all the time. Each time caused an exacerbation of pandas symptoms. We saw lots of drs for it. I was told it was an autoimmune response.Tried lots of different things until he started valtrex 2x/day. If he gets a sore it is increased to 4x/day. He was getting sores at least 2x/month. Since starting valtrex in Nov he's only had 2 sores which were not as bad and healed quicker than before valtrex. The immunologist said he doesn't understand why the valtrex helps but agrees that it does.

My dd9 took valtrex too for the HHV6 to see if it would help resolve some of her neurological symptoms. I think it did help her canker sores. dd8 never took valtrex but her canker sores are better now too. Maybe since dd9 does not get them as often they aren't passed around. We always had an increase in symptoms whenever the sores showed up.

Susan

one of the infections my kids have is CMV. they've had an off and on mouth rash. for ds6 at onset, i really thought it somehow had to be related. but it was winter and drs thought it was chapped. i never thought it was just chapped.

at my recent visit, our dr said he thought i had CMV also. he gave me a remedy. when i first took it, i had soreness in my nose, that then went away - i think like a herx reaction. i used to get sores in my nose -- pretty much like a canker sore - campho-phenique is what would help, which is a cold sore treatement -- whenever i had a sinus issue.

i'd say -- check out herpes viruses.

Edited by smartyjones

Certainly an immune reaction as the others said, but something also to try long-term is switching to a toothpaste that doesn't contain SLS (sodium lauryl sufate). SLS is definitely a no-no for those prone to canker sores and unfortunately is found in most toothpastes (it's the main foaming agent in toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc). Tom's of Maine makes a nice mild mint without SLS called Clean and Gentle Care. I used to be very prone to canker sores, but now I avoid SLS (in everything) and I don't get them anymore.

Our ds12 used to get canker sores, too. Never figured out why exactly. We followed the same strategy that monarchcat mentioned and changed his toothpaste to one that does not contain SLS (sodium lauryl sufate) - he is using sensodyne. No canker sores since changing to a different toothpaste.

My dd10 has started getting canker sores (or maybe I am just really noticing it) this go round with PANDAS. Interesting. They have been worse the last week or so and dd7 came down with strep throat last Thursday. DD10 is still on antibiotics for this last flare, but I thought I noticed a mild increase in symptoms (moodiness, more distracted, reported feeling "not right") this last week also (actually going back into the week before that, also). She seems better now. I wonder if it is all related...