ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone here with toddlers with Lyme?

3 1/2 year old twins... both congenital Lyme, Bartonella and Babesia. One is confirmed positive via antibody testing for Babesia, Bartonella, IND Lyme (Dr. believes the Lyme is there and will eventually convert). The other twin remains serologically negative for everything. Both twins have abnormal labs of low RBC, low WBC (resolved), high lymphocytes, extremely low Igg 1 and 3s, deficiencies in strep pneumo titers, rashes over their entire bodies up to cheeks (it was Lupus like with butterfly type rash), etc. We have not done provocation testing for Lyme for our daughter but recently retested her for babesia and awaiting results to see if she has converted. She is very responsive to treatment and feel she may be our first off antibiotics.

For the record: Our children are not full biologically related to me, all are afflicted with same illness, all were carried by me in utero. I find it difficult to believe that there was any predisposition to Lyme/Pandas like caving of the immune system..... they just happen to have a mother who unknowningly had LD at time of pregnancy and was administered steroids during the twin pregnancy.

-Wendy

Edited by SF Mom

I have one. She is 5 now. But I believe she has congenital Lyme and also is diagnosed with Bartonella. She first showed symptoms at 9 days old and things got worse from there. Our main onset of extreme symptoms was at her 3rd birthday. Things have never let up from there. We have just been diagnosed with Lyme. Although the Lyme diagnosis is not exactly accurate yet. The Bartonella is the one that is fully accurate at this point. I'm still learning.

Was it a clear case of Bartonella? Doc is wondering about Bartonella with our 4 yr old but I'm told it's hard to diagnose. He was negative on Igenex test.

But has more behavioral, neurosymptoms going on than physical ones.

Wendy - didn't realize your twins were so young, 1 year behind us :)

From what I understand about the symptoms of Bartonella, YES, YES, YES, it is definitely a clear case. My understanding is that PANDAS and Bartonella present similarlly in terms of psychiatric symptoms? Or at least that is how it feels in this house. So, when the test came back positive, I rejoiced.

Now, I'm still waiting on my own test results. I've already been tested for Lyme at some point and it was negative. it wasn't through Igenex, but I don't know what the test was. Just remember a negative does not mean a negative. What is your doc saying about your child?

From what I understand about the symptoms of Bartonella, YES, YES, YES, it is definitely a clear case. My understanding is that PANDAS and Bartonella present similarlly in terms of psychiatric symptoms? Or at least that is how it feels in this house. So, when the test came back positive, I rejoiced.

Now, I'm still waiting on my own test results. I've already been tested for Lyme at some point and it was negative. it wasn't through Igenex, but I don't know what the test was. Just remember a negative does not mean a negative. What is your doc saying about your child?

He's diagnosed with Pandas, all the classic symptoms, tested positive for Lyme through Igenex, at least had it for a year. but we're also dealing with bursts of agression and rage!, irritablity, inability to focus, more neuro symptoms that one doc thought be more Bartonella related. He's on 200 of Azithro and 500 of omnicef. Are your daughter's? doses higher? He's 45 lbs. He's only been on the Lyme treatment for 3 weeks though. His aggression is so unpreditable. Just took him to PreK to drop off his brother and he got angry over nothing and threw a snow boot at the wall (in front of 3 teachers). i was mortified! 2 minutes later he was chatting nicely with all of them and laughing!

My son will be 3 next month and I noticed his Autism getting worse after his vaccinations so I went to a natropath and she did nutritional microscopy and andvised me to find a lyme literate pediatric doctor as she detected spirochetes in his live blood draw. I am awaiting the igenex test results and he is on ABX for almost 2 months. This is all new and I should have the results in a few weeks.

My son will be 3 next month and I noticed his Autism getting worse after his vaccinations so I went to a natropath and she did nutritional microscopy and andvised me to find a lyme literate pediatric doctor as she detected spirochetes in his live blood draw. I am awaiting the igenex test results and he is on ABX for almost 2 months. This is all new and I should have the results in a few weeks.

What state are you in?

My son is 8 and we think congenital. LLMD also suspects Bartonella although Igenex tested negative for it. I am sure the suspicion may be due to behavioral/neuro symptoms which he has had from an early age. The boot incident could have happened with us (then and now) and more. Doctor also thinks that this reddish mark under his eye may be due to Bartonella. It is currently on 250mg 1x day azith and 600 mg augmentnin 2 x day only on weekdays We think we had herxing when we started on azith and also when we went to antibiotics only weekdays (something about not having it on weekends brought on herxing). I also just noticed puplish reddish marks on his arm and buttocks that have showed up with the recent herxing. It seems similar to the mark under the eye to me. The herxing is behavioral for the most part. Our doctor suggested detox - epsom salt baths (maintenance once a week - more often now), decaf green tea (a cup a day maintenance - more often now) and prescribed deplin (a pharmaceutical name for methyl folatate) which I think is a B vitamin. This week seems to have been a better week since we started adding these things in.

I wish we had caught this earlier!

Elizabeth

I have a 3 yr old dd not yet officially dx, but has lots of markers, so I am almost positive she has congenital Lyme. I was also on steroids while pregnant w/her, and she has issues w/strep but not officially dx w/PANDAS (mainly b/c we have not followed up w/Dr K, but our GP will rx her abx instead.)

What state are you in? PA