ACN Latitudes Forums

Dr. Phil today

Dr. Phil had a show today about an overworked, overstressed mom and extremely unhelpful Dad. In the midst of this, one of their kids (he looked to be around 10) was exhibiting OCD behaviors, ritualistic licking of things, etc. Dr. Phil attributed it to anxiety from the stressful environment, which may very well be. But me, I immediately think "could this be PANDAS??". The mom also runs an in-home daycare, so the exposure to germs is more prevalent than the average home. I'm starting to think I see PANDAS everywhere....

You are not alone! My friends son had some behavioral issues during/after a strep infection. He was hyper and silly. She told me she googled strep and behavioral issues and PANDAS popped out everywhere. I really raised my eyebrows when she was telling me this. Her neighbors daughter had strep and also had some kind of behavioral issues. They went away in both kids after standard abx treatment. I'm waiting for a reoccurrance and a phone call.

I see it everywhere too. I am on a parenting board where a mom was telling about her son vomiting but no other symptoms and he kept vomiting once or so a day for quite a few days. I told her to have him checked for strep. She did. Rapid test negative. Culture turned up positive a few days later.

You are not alone. I am "diagnosing" kids every day (you know under my breath in Target, watching the kids at gymnastics). I see it everywhere...and now my two teenage non-PANDAS daughters are doing the same thing. And Emerson diagnosed James Durbin from American Idol and then when I was looking stuff up on the internet about that I decided that Dan Ackroyd is probably a strong candidate for PANDAS...now if we could get a famous person ACTUALLY diagnosed then maybe we could move some really big PANDAS mountains...but I ramble.

Thanks for this by the way. Things are pretty rough for us right now PANDAS-wise so I needed this little moment of silliness.

Mary

from Michigan