ACN Latitudes Forums

For Igenex....what if we test for lyme

Here is my question....my dd has pandas. Dr. B in CT has suggested that we do igenex testing for lyme and a complete coinfection panel. My dilema is that the cost for this testing is outrageous, we have no out of network benefits...no reimbursement, etc. I'm trying to decide will it be worth it to just test for the lyme? That's only $200 and I can afford that. Can you actually have a lyme coinfection w/out having lyme? If the lyme is negative....does that mean she probably doesn't have a coinfection? If the lyme comes back positive....THEN we worry about the complete coinfection panel?

We started with just the lyme testing. That's what the LLMD who we were going to see required before we got there. But with your child's history, even with a negative lyme test, I would recommend taking a trip to see a good LLMD. The tests are not always reliable and LLMD would be able to do a clinical evaluation or direct you to specific testing that might not be the whole thing.

I resisted getting the Igenex test for a long time but I'm so glad I did. I'm glad to hear Dr. B is suggesting lyme testing!

GOOD LUCK!

Susan

Where I think the basic lyme testing from IGeneX, like the western blot, is used/accepted fairly widely by lyme doctors, getting that test before-hand can be helpful for the doctor in making the initial evaluation. The coinfections, I think less so, and for those looking to spend money carefully, probably best to start without the coinfection tests. They may not be needed, and also, lyme docs tend to have more varied use of tests for coinfections, so it might not be the ones the doc wants anyway.

We tested via Igenex for Lyme and then through Labcorp for co-infections. Labcorp showed a couple and they are reimbursed by insurance.

I would start w/just the Lyme testing. Igenex keeps your blood so they can run more testing when you request without having to pay for another draw. I know because we did this w/me for something (can't remember what at the moment) and all I had to do was wait for their call and authorize that it was ok to charge my cc for the new test.

You can have Lyme without co-infections and co-infections without Lyme.

Most people with Lyme usually have a co-infection though. My daughter tested positive for Lyme (Bb) but negative for the co-infection panel with Igenex. We then tested the co-infections with different labs with an LLMD, and she was positive for Bartonella and RMSF.