ACN Latitudes Forums

yeast question

My DS9 has been on Augmentin 1000 mg twice a day since October due to strep in the gut. He has been basically back to "our normal" and just this week his stools have started to smell terrible again, a few tics are coming back, and he has become emotional. I wouldn't think strep has started to grow again with the dose he is on. Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of yeast in the gut are, how to test for yeast, and what the treatment is? Also, any other ideas of what could be causing this?

Edited by trubiano

Okay, please excuse the graphic descriptions, but in our dd yeasty BMs were light yellow, floating and fluffy (unformed). Before we identified food intolerances (which was combined with yeast issues) her BMs were also unformed, dark, very loose, and stinky.

Are you giving a probiotic with the abx? If so, you may want to up the dose (slowly) and watch for improvement. There can sometimes be uncomfortable die-off symptoms if you increase the dose too quickly. We've tried a few different brands and really love Custom Probiotics (you can google them) and make sure you get one that is strep free. Some people also give antifungals, and the least intrusive in my book would be adding biotin (breaks down the yeast's cell walls) and also Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) starting with one drop in some grape juice and working up. Both of these things can be found at a health food store. Also, reduce and/or limit 'yeast feeding' foods like lots of juices, soda, fruit, candy, french fries, white rice, chips etc. Even a relatively 'healthy' diet can be high in quick carbs which the yeast thrive on. It's better to have what I call 'slow' foods, especially protein with every meal -- takes longer to digest.

A great test for yeast (and also a fabulous picture of what is going on metabolically -- might help explain the stinky poops) is the Organic Acids Test (OAT). We used one from Great Plains Laboratory and it's quite easy -- first morning urine, freeze and send off in the FedEx bag provided. If you don't have a DAN or someone to help you interpret the results, I believe they can provide you with a consultation that goes along with the test cost. (Not 100% sure on this, but I think I'm correct.)

Also, with any non-normal BMs it is often helpful to add a digestive enzyme. We use enzymes from Houston Enzymes.

I hope this helps.

Malke

Yeast was an issue for us BEFORE we started antibiotics.

Druken laughter, spinning, hyper, weepy, and her food demands are my big clue to it flairing again- when her yeast is over grown in her gut, she demands yeasty food- carbs only, apples, sugar foods- when it is in 'control' she will eat the protein meals I provide during the day easily.

I am re-doing an OAT test from Great Plains Lab. right now- first morning urine, it will detail yeast and bacteria overgrowth in the gut- excellent test- but $240. with a Dr.'s signature.

There is a 'spit' test (don't laugh) but hey, it is free. Set a glass of water out the night before bed, in a clear see through glass. Upon awakening, before eating or drinking anything, spit a big spit in the water, and then watch- if strings, or 'legs' or it turns cloudy, this can indicate you have yeast.

Natural remedies: Drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) must be diluted- this is a powerful anti-fungal- extra biotin vitamin- probiotics.

We have done rounds of prescription Diflucan. I have read the anti-fungal Nystatin has strep??

I have no idea what is going on in my dd5's gut right now- hence, I am sending in an OAT test today- I think our trial of Agmentin SR, combined with our steroid burst, and my attempt to hydrate her excessively before IVIG with lots of juice drinks, and too many carb snacks, and of course, daily Azith. has taken a toll.

HTH

Gastrointestinal yeast overgrowth really shouldn't cause "smelly" stool. I would be much more inclined to think this is an overgrowth of Clostridium difficile, being on the antibiotic he is on (and the dose! Wow- that's a lot). You can request a stool test for Clostridium difficile toxins (both A and B) if symptoms are worrisome. Usually, there is some lower abdominal pain, either loose stool or constipation, and the odor is unmistakable.

I have been told the yeast poo smells sweet, sickly, like a brewery. And the bacteria poo, like you need a haz-mat team.

I give a anti-fungal (like GSE, or Diflucan) at least 2 hours away from antibiotic, and 2 hours away from probiotic- the biotin vitamin can be given anytime. Right now it's doable for us, since we are only on 1x a day dose of antibiotic.

Just a note about stinky BMs...we've never had bacteria BMs here, thank goodness, but we had years of stinky, unformed, messy poops none-the-less. Once we addressed food intolerances (removed gluten, casein and soy), and then added a probiotic later down the road, then the 'output' markedly improved.

This is all just in case it helps...I know for sure the OAT can give you the full picture.

Only us moms would have a spirited conversation about poop, lol! :)

You can't just guess about things like this, testing is really important - you just never really know what it is otherwise and could be treating the wrong thing.

Testing reco: my favorite kits are either:

Metametrix 2100 GI microbial and chemistry (you should be able to get it for $395 if your provider reco's it - otherwise if you randomly are able to get the kit online it could retail as much as $1100+).

Diagnostex - don't remember the kit# but their comprehensive analysis.

both of these use DNA screening, not cultures or even only microscope assessments.

I do agree about the not guessing. My DAN!/PANDAS Dr. likes the OAT from Great Plains Lab.- it does give accurate yeast/fungal markers, malabsorption/bacterial markers, clostridia, good bacteria present, nutritional markers, and more.

It's why I'm sending one in today- I cannot guess what's happening right now- with all that has recently happened....

Thank you! I took DS9 into the ped and told her about our issues. She had us give 4 stool samples and is testing for a few different things. I started giving him extra probiotic and that seemed to help the smell. He has been complaining of a sore throat for weeks and it's red, but strep culture is always negative. We even tried giving him benedryl incase he had some drainage we couldn't see, but still no help. It's just red, no white, which would make me think not yeast. Do children on high dose antibiotics have a higher chance of getting c-diff? We have been seeing Dr. Latimer and I guess it's time I found a DAN too. We have been luckly that antibiotics have always worked, but now we have other issues my ped can't figure out. Any DAN's in the Atlanta area someone likes? Something we are really struggling with is his need to eat. He sneaks food and even forgets that he has just eaten. I read most parents on here have the the problem of not eating, so we are blessed, but I wish I could figure out how to curve his need to eat.

Edited by trubiano

Phasmid, he has been complaining of abdominal pain! They did stool cultures last week and maybe they will find something. Dr. Latimer put him on such a high dose augmentin because he was so bad with tics, ocd, and hallucinations he made "Sammy" look normal. We see her again in a few weeks and hope now that he is better she will lower the dose. Thanks for information!