ACN Latitudes Forums

8 year old daughter

I posted her last summer when my daughter started eye rolling and a few facial tics after a stressful incident at home. The tics continued for the summer and then seemed to go away after school started. I thought I had them pinned to when she was super tired or if she had red food dye or caffeine. She's been fine so long. Now for the past few days all her old tics are back, and today I noticed her relaxed arm was trembling, like a spasm. She said it's been happening all week, sometimes it's her leg. :( Is this typical TS or transiet tic disorder, or should I be freaking out about Parkinsons or something else? I am very, very upset. This arm shaking really scares me. Please tell me it's a normal tic. I was going to run a bunch of tests on her to discover the root of why these are going on, but then they stopped. Maybe I need to look into that again and try to help her. Thoughts, anyone? :(

Worried in NJ

I posted her last summer when my daughter started eye rolling and a few facial tics after a stressful incident at home. The tics continued for the summer and then seemed to go away after school started. I thought I had them pinned to when she was super tired or if she had red food dye or caffeine. She's been fine so long. Now for the past few days all her old tics are back, and today I noticed her relaxed arm was trembling, like a spasm. She said it's been happening all week, sometimes it's her leg. :( Is this typical TS or transiet tic disorder, or should I be freaking out about Parkinsons or something else? I am very, very upset. This arm shaking really scares me. Please tell me it's a normal tic. I was going to run a bunch of tests on her to discover the root of why these are going on, but then they stopped. Maybe I need to look into that again and try to help her. Thoughts, anyone? :(

Worried in NJ

Hello,

Is it a deliberate type shake - as in more of a motion? Any tic behaviour I have witnessed it is a deliberate pattern type behaviour. Or is it shaking like a trembling shake? The leg that it happens to, is it on the same side of the body as the arm shake? If you were to put your arm on her or if you were to ask her about it, does the shaking stop?

Sorry I don't have any answers. Most of my kid's tics you can say - oh yeah that is a tic, for there is a pattern or a motion to it. My daughter has had arm and leg ones as well, but again - it wasn't a shake, it was a purposeful movement. If it was a shake, like a tremor - I personally would get it checked out. I can understand why you are upset. However, I do know people that shake their leg all the time, especially when anxious - I don't know if that is a tic or a nervous habit.

Sorry I haven't been much help. Hang in there, and if you are worried than no harm can come from taking her to the doctors. Good luck!

Hi - my dd7 has a PANDAS not TS dx but she had an arm tremor as part of her dx when she first presented. It was in both arms and I was told it was a sign of excess dopamine which is dysregulated in PANDAS kids... Not saying your child has PANDAS but if it isn't a common symptom in TS or transient tic disorders, you may want to consider an infectious cause... just a thought..

good luck