ACN Latitudes Forums

new vocal tic

so yesterday DS had a pizza party at school, where he ate pizza. then he went to grandma's, who had run out of gluten free foods (but didn't mention this before i came over), so he had pasta with butter for dinner. today, he's doing a closed mouth high-pitched chirping tic, which would be pretty disrupting if it happens at school. hoping a few days of gluten free again will make this one go away, and fast.

also -- can i complain about our naturopath?

we went a month ago. she made a few recommendations (nothing that I haven't found on this board already), and now we can't move forward until we get some blood testing done. but here's the problem: $300 to go to a naturopath, and she's not legally allowed to prescribe a blood test, so she wants to send us to an integrative-friendly pediatrician (who's at least 45 minutes away) just to meet with her to get a blood test prescription. then we have to go elsewhere for teh actual blood test. i sort of wish i had known this would be an issue before we went, or i would have made a point of going to a very well-known, expensive, and always-booked integrative pediatrician who does the naturopath stuff in addition to having a regular pediatrician's license. she even suggested that I go to him and we work together (only an additional $400 for the same services, plus the blood test prescription). I'm a little frustrated that it has to be so difficult. (My own pediatrician was not amenable to prescribing the blood tests herself since she couldn't see a 'medical reason' for them. The naturopath said that would happen.)

*sigh*

so yesterday DS had a pizza party at school, where he ate pizza. then he went to grandma's, who had run out of gluten free foods (but didn't mention this before i came over), so he had pasta with butter for dinner. today, he's doing a closed mouth high-pitched chirping tic, which would be pretty disrupting if it happens at school. hoping a few days of gluten free again will make this one go away, and fast.

also -- can i complain about our naturopath?

we went a month ago. she made a few recommendations (nothing that I haven't found on this board already), and now we can't move forward until we get some blood testing done. but here's the problem: $300 to go to a naturopath, and she's not legally allowed to prescribe a blood test, so she wants to send us to an integrative-friendly pediatrician (who's at least 45 minutes away) just to meet with her to get a blood test prescription. then we have to go elsewhere for teh actual blood test. i sort of wish i had known this would be an issue before we went, or i would have made a point of going to a very well-known, expensive, and always-booked integrative pediatrician who does the naturopath stuff in addition to having a regular pediatrician's license. she even suggested that I go to him and we work together (only an additional $400 for the same services, plus the blood test prescription). I'm a little frustrated that it has to be so difficult. (My own pediatrician was not amenable to prescribing the blood tests herself since she couldn't see a 'medical reason' for them. The naturopath said that would happen.)

*sigh*

Hi, our son has this vocal, you explained it perfectly. I know people are triggered by different things but have you also considered maybe tomatoes? For our ds tomatoes were his chirp trigger...took me a long time to figure that one out. Pizza was always a big offender it has it all, wheat, dairy, nitrates in pepperoni usually and for our ds tomato sauce. I hope it clears quickly for you all it is a hard one to ignore. Sorry for your frustration with the dr's, seems to be an overwhelmingly common issue <_< Frustrating to say the least, we pretty much need to be our own phd's in tics and tourettes. A little outside knowledge and help would be sooo welcome...I feel your frustration and I second your big *sigh*

oh quick note, this was also his tv tic...maybe a thought?

Megan

Edited by mommyfor4

megan -

you said it! we really do need to be our own doctors and advocates. as much as i want to invest in the whole naturopath path, and i do, i get really frustrated with their legal limitations (as in, not being able to order a blood test), the way the costs add up, and the fact that we have to take so much time out of our days to get to these places. i just wish wish wish there was an integrative wellness clinic nearby, one that was well respected, experienced in ASD, where all tests could be done under one roof with all of the products to purchase there, too. *sigh* again.

also, i never even considered that tomato could be an allergen for DS. he only eats it on pizza. we just found a great gluten free pizza crust, but i guess we do need to find out if tomato is an allergy. IF we ever get the blood test ordered, then done.

the chirping tic seems to have reduced with the absence of gluten again. i would like that one to stay away, thank you very much.

thanks, as always, for your words of support and food for thought:)

Adding to the wish list...that the supplements didn't cost an arm and a leg! that our food stores sold more 'clean' foods and that our celebrity chefs might take on the challenge of creating dishes and menus encompassing the diets we must do for our kids health and well-being. (Last night I was shocked watching a TV chef use huge amounts of cream to prepare a family meal...No way would that work here!)

Edited by Ozimum

i know it, ozimum. as it is, i have to travel 20 minutes to get to whole foods, where i know i will find the foods we need.

as for that television show -- it's brilliant! we should put together a plan and propose it to the food network. do you get that channel in australia?

i'm sort of not even kidding. a GFCF cooking show. best idea i've heard in ages.