ACN Latitudes Forums

Update

Just an update on my ds6--we saw Dr. B. at the end of Jan. and started him on augmentin and a steroid taper. I'm pretty sure my son has a few different things going on. (Is that an understatement, or what??) He has multiple food allergies/intolerances and gut issues, and we are waiting to hear back on all of the labs for coinfections, etc. Anyway, he responded like a champ for the first week--it was the first time his tics/ocd stuff had gone away in a year. And we have tried LOTS of different approaches (minus heavy meds.) to help alleviate his symptoms. After about a week, he got really hyper and had an itchy butt, so we put him on an antifungal and upped the probiotics. Slowly, the positive effects from the abx and taper seem to be disappearing, and most of the old stuff is creeping back in. (I should add that he got sick with what we think was a virus during the 2nd or 3rd week into the new meds.) Now he is super ADHD, hyper, constantly silly with "butt talk" and also is having some diahrea which, with all of his gut trouble, he has never had before. I have a phone consult with Dr. B. on Mon. to discuss labs and everything, but I am so bummed out. It seems that I am always trying to put out fires--I just want something to have a lasting impact on my sons health!!!

I am sorry - I know and understand your frustrations. Our ds had itchy bottom when he had systemic candida (bad yeast infection). Our experience is that it takes months or even years to clear systemic candida, so a week or so on anti fungal may not be enough. Also, being on teh anti fungal is probably causing dye off issues and may be increasing symptoms.

Just an update on my ds6--we saw Dr. B. at the end of Jan. and started him on augmentin and a steroid taper. I'm pretty sure my son has a few different things going on. (Is that an understatement, or what??) He has multiple food allergies/intolerances and gut issues, and we are waiting to hear back on all of the labs for coinfections, etc. Anyway, he responded like a champ for the first week--it was the first time his tics/ocd stuff had gone away in a year. And we have tried LOTS of different approaches (minus heavy meds.) to help alleviate his symptoms. After about a week, he got really hyper and had an itchy butt, so we put him on an antifungal and upped the probiotics. Slowly, the positive effects from the abx and taper seem to be disappearing, and most of the old stuff is creeping back in. (I should add that he got sick with what we think was a virus during the 2nd or 3rd week into the new meds.) Now he is super ADHD, hyper, constantly silly with "butt talk" and also is having some diahrea which, with all of his gut trouble, he has never had before. I have a phone consult with Dr. B. on Mon. to discuss labs and everything, but I am so bummed out. It seems that I am always trying to put out fires--I just want something to have a lasting impact on my sons health!!!

I am sorry that you are going through this. It sounds very similar to my son at age 6-7. You mention that you are using antifungals and probiotics and that is good. Are you also using charcoal or bentonite clay to help with detox a bit? Be sure to do them a few hours away from probiotics and a few hours away from any meds or supplements (which is not easy to find time to do). Also, are you giving probiotics at least 2 hours away from antibiotics and antifungals? Also, limiting sugar and yeast might help a bit to not feed the yeast in his gut. Have you read "the yeast connection"? I found it helpful when we were having similar problems.

Hope things turn around for you soon!

I am sorry that you are going through this. It sounds very similar to my son at age 6-7. You mention that you are using antifungals and probiotics and that is good. Are you also using charcoal or bentonite clay to help with detox a bit? Be sure to do them a few hours away from probiotics and a few hours away from any meds or supplements (which is not easy to find time to do). Also, are you giving probiotics at least 2 hours away from antibiotics and antifungals? Also, limiting sugar and yeast might help a bit to not feed the yeast in his gut. Have you read "the yeast connection"? I found it helpful when we were having similar problems.

Hope things turn around for you soon!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have bought the charcoal and have never been able to get the timing right. I have been so afraid it will suck up the antibiotic--will it be fine if it is 2 hours away from the abx? He is currently on diflucan, probiotics, and we try to limit sugar as much as possible. I have read the yeast connection and feast without yeast, as I have a HORRIBLe yeast problem too. I just hope we can get it right eventually. He was doing great over the summer (with gut issues) because he wasn't on antibiotics, but his pandas symptoms were out of control!! Ugh!!!Not sure what else to do...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have bought the charcoal and have never been able to get the timing right. I have been so afraid it will suck up the antibiotic--will it be fine if it is 2 hours away from the abx? He is currently on diflucan, probiotics, and we try to limit sugar as much as possible. I have read the yeast connection and feast without yeast, as I have a HORRIBLe yeast problem too. I just hope we can get it right eventually. He was doing great over the summer (with gut issues) because he wasn't on antibiotics, but his pandas symptoms were out of control!! Ugh!!!Not sure what else to do...

Eljay - you have been through so much and clearly are aware of all the good things to do. Do you know what the source of the infection is in your son? Do you know if the problem is with strep or mycoplasma or lyme, or sinusitis, or allergies..... do you know what is causing the infection and/or inflammation?

Eljay - you have been through so much and clearly are aware of all the good things to do. Do you know what the source of the infection is in your son? Do you know if the problem is with strep or mycoplasma or lyme, or sinusitis, or allergies..... do you know what is causing the infection and/or inflammation?

Not 100% sure about what the source is--I think it is a combination of things. We get labs back for myco, lyme, strep, etc. tomorrow. Also, I know he has tested positive several times for yeast. We are also checking for other gut bugs. Allergies are also a huge factor. His testing from last year showed some specific food allergies, but he has developed alot of intolerances as well. It will be interesting to see what results we get this week. I think that will help explain some things regarding his response to the latest treaments(abx and steroids). Of course, Dr. B. thinks there is strep in the sinuses (seems to be a common thread with Dr. B.'s patients), and I would concur that his sinuses are probably harboring infection, but I think there are other things going on as well. I hope to get a clear picture of what is going on soon!

Have you done / considered IVIG?

No, we haven't done Ivig yet. We will consider it though, once we try everything else. I want to pursue lyme testing first, and give abx a little more time. We've seen some great improvements, but it is still early--there always seems to be setbacks along the way, though. Ugh..