ACN Latitudes Forums

Low IgE and IgG4

Have any of your chldren showed low IgE and IgG4 on any of their blood work? Dr. T said:

"After analyzing hundreds of children with PANDAS, I've noticed patterns of changes in the immune system in some kids. Skylar seems to show one of these (low IgE and IgG4); it's a pattern that I only discovered recently by looking at hundreds of kids' data. I only got to analyzing Skylar's data yesterday so this is why haven't contacted you sooner.

It's important that we do a follow up visit to discuss, this could be very important to why she developed OCD."

Have any of your chldren showed low IgE and IgG4 on any of their blood work? Dr. T said:

"After analyzing hundreds of children with PANDAS, I've noticed patterns of changes in the immune system in some kids. Skylar seems to show one of these (low IgE and IgG4); it's a pattern that I only discovered recently by looking at hundreds of kids' data. I only got to analyzing Skylar's data yesterday so this is why haven't contacted you sooner.

It's important that we do a follow up visit to discuss, this could be very important to why she developed OCD."

YES!!!! and I have not heard of anyone else that has this! We also have low IgA. Please, please let me know what you learn about it from Dr. T. Tons of studies have been done on he significance and implications of elevated IgE- so little on IgE deficiency. From what I've read- Low IgE, IgA and IgG4 (separately or combined) seem to increase risk of autoimmunity...but that's all I can find about it. But, also, from what I can tell, IgE triggers mast cells to raise histamine levels- causing inflammation. So, w/ so little IgE, where is my daughter's inflammation coming from? Maybe the body shut down IgE production to try to quash inflammation? IDN!

My daughter does really, really awful on antihistamines...maybe because she doesn't have an abundance of histamine?

Is Doctor T collecting data in general, or are these only the records of his patients?

Wilma Jenks and peglem -- May I ask what your children's IgE's were. My sons IgE was 8 and his IgG4 was 63. He has severe OCD only (no tics). My doctor is also Dr. T.

My daughter's IgE was <2, I don't remember the exact # (and the records are not easily accessible). Her IgG4 was something like 4- but, w/ the IgGs normal levels vary with age so you need to know normal range for age to gauge how low it is. I seem to recall that low normal for her age at the time this was measured was 11. But, I'm not for sure on that.

What I'm wondering is if the low IgE is indicative of low histamine levels, which I don't think we've ever checked- but that has neurological implications, as well as digestive implications.

• 1 year later...

Just thought that I would add to this. We received information on our daughter's bloodwork today and this is what Dr. T stated:

"4. Immunoglobulins IgG, IgA and IgM are normal. However, several immune quirks are seen

A. IgG4 and IgE are both very low (for example IgG4 - expected 36, found 7)

B. IgG2 is relatively low (expected 267, found 205)"

Not sure what all this means, as we haven't had our consultation regarding these yet.....

My daughter has very low IgG4, low IgE, but also total IgG is low in addition to low IgA- all fall far below normal range. What I've read (and I've found precious little info) seems to indicate that those low in IgE and IgA are at greater risk for autoimmune disorders.

Edited by peglem

I found this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2837605/?tool=pmcentrez

Protection against autoimmune disease

The prevalence of autoimmune disease is recognized to be increased in persons with immunoglobulin deficiencies - particularly those with IgA hypogammaglobulinemia [23]. The authors have documented a similar predisposition in AIC patients with deficiencies in IgE [22]. There are potentially a number of mechanisms that could explain this association (Figure ​(Figure66).

Figure 6

Figure 6

Potential consequences of IgE hypogammaglobulinemia.

IgE is predominantly a mucosal immunoglobulin. Hence, as is postulated with IgA, it is possible that IgE protects against autoimmunization by preventing the systemic absorption of mucosal antigens [23]. A lack of antigen exclusion at the mucosal barrier could allow exogenous antigens to induce autoimmune responses by stimulating autoreactive lymphocytes through molecular mimicry [24,25]; by promoting immune complex formation [26]; by super-antigen-induced polyclonal activation of lymphocytes [27]; by inducing a perturbation of the idiotypic network [28]; and/or by aberrant induction of MHC class II antigens [29].

Evidence also indicates that rather than merely priming mast cells to respond to specific antigen, IgE, in the absence of cross-linking agents, favorably influences mast cell survival, receptor expression, and mediator release, and hence, has an important and active role in facilitating immune responses [30]. Mast cells have been shown to be essential intermediaries in Treg induced allograft tolerance in mice [31]; it is possible, therefore, that IgE deficiency predisposes to autoimmunity by adversely effecting mast cell survival and function. It is also possible that common genetic factors predispose an individual to both IgE deficiency and autoimmune disease, or that low levels of IgE merely reflect an imbalance between Th1 and Th2 lymphocyte activity. That, in turn, favors the development of Th1-mediated autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis [32,33]. Systemic lupus erythematosus also may be related to Treg dysregulation, auto-antibody or anti-apoptotic defect.

• 3 years later...

This thread is old and i can only hope @christianmom and a few others OR new people can shed some light on this - I too have low IgE levels (3 to be exact) and low IgG4. I have also tested previously for low serum histamine.

Guess what else? I struggle with severe anxiety/OCD (pretty much out of nowhere - started in 2002ish).

There's got to be a connection here and am hoping to resurrect this topic.

Help?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to hijack the topic but I have to point out something in that link

under "multiple potential triggers," where vaccines are listed you see (eppur si muove)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_yet_it_moves

As such, the phrase is used today as a sort of pithy retort implying that "it doesn't matter what you believe; these are the facts".

Edited by kim