ACN Latitudes Forums

Zithromax and Orapred

Hopefully someone here has experienced the same thing or has some suggestions. We went to see Dr. B last week. He changed dd's meds from Kelflex, to Zithromax, and added 25 day taper of Orapred. I've been so hopefull, but what I'm noticing is strange. For a while, she seems to be feeling better and symptoms vanish. The a few hours later....OCD, anxiety, rages, etc.. all come back. Then later on....symptoms vanish again. I've been a little concerned about the Orapred b/c we think she may have lyme. Her Quest results showed only IgM band 23 present, and we are currently waiting for Igenex results. I've read that steroids may make things worse when there is lyme, so I was nervous about it to begin with. However, steroids have been wonderful with pandas.....so I wanted to listen to Dr. B and give it a try.

I also wonder if the zithromax is just not helping.....b/c we've tried, amox. and omnicef....which never did anything. Augmetin made things 10 times worse. Kelflex dramatically improved things, but after 2 months it quit working. Is IVIG next? Maybe it helps the pandas symptoms slowly and they will get less and fewer with time? It's so confusing. Saturday morning I noticed a HUGE change for about 4 hrs....then it was over. Then it came back in the afternoon on Monday and tues.....and then it was over again, I guess you get the picture. Thanks for any advice, or experience.

Hopefully someone here has experienced the same thing or has some suggestions. We went to see Dr. B last week. He changed dd's meds from Kelflex, to Zithromax, and added 25 day taper of Orapred. I've been so hopefull, but what I'm noticing is strange. For a while, she seems to be feeling better and symptoms vanish. The a few hours later....OCD, anxiety, rages, etc.. all come back. Then later on....symptoms vanish again. I've been a little concerned about the Orapred b/c we think she may have lyme. Her Quest results showed only IgM band 23 present, and we are currently waiting for Igenex results. I've read that steroids may make things worse when there is lyme, so I was nervous about it to begin with. However, steroids have been wonderful with pandas.....so I wanted to listen to Dr. B and give it a try.

I also wonder if the zithromax is just not helping.....b/c we've tried, amox. and omnicef....which never did anything. Augmetin made things 10 times worse. Kelflex dramatically improved things, but after 2 months it quit working. Is IVIG next? Maybe it helps the pandas symptoms slowly and they will get less and fewer with time? It's so confusing. Saturday morning I noticed a HUGE change for about 4 hrs....then it was over. Then it came back in the afternoon on Monday and tues.....and then it was over again, I guess you get the picture. Thanks for any advice, or experience.

The first time that my DD did a pred taper, she had a rough first and second week. I definitely saw more raging and crying. Her improvement was also not continual. We saw a "sawtooth" pattern -- but if we evaluated from week to week, then we could see that she was getting better.

For the second pred taper, she was not nearly as severe as the year before. Again, week one was difficult -- a lot of crying, banging walls, and just angry frustration. By the end of week 2 she was fully back with no setbacks. However, we still finished the pred until the end.