ACN Latitudes Forums

ANA positive? What does this mean in terms of Lyme?

A relative of mine just got her test results back and she is ANA positive. Her ANA is 1:160 and it is speckled. She was negative for coinfections and her lyme results from Stony Brook are: igm wb IND for 41 and she was positive for what they call nonspecific bands 18, 43, 62 and 93. For the IGG WB part of the test she was positive for band 18 as well as for non specific bands 43 and 62. I am not familiar with this lyme test-just Igenex. She was tested through Columbia at the lyme and tick borne disease second opinion service and they apparently use Stony Brook and not Igenex. What do you think? I think she has lyme but we are looking for evidence of it. Any thoughts on what this means?

Does this have anything to do with it...i don't subscribe...might have to join

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20434537

Thanks Fixit. I saw that but could only read the abstract. That is what makes me think there is a connection although that author seems to think it is part of post lyme syndrome which is not something that most lyme doctors subscribe to. An active lyme infection could cause this I think.

Just curious, would a negative result confirm that an autoimmune disease is not present? Or is it like Lyme, where the test result means nothing? :D

A positive ANA is an indication that there is an autoimmune disease present.

Edited by justinekno

Just curious, would a negative result confirm that an autoimmune disease is not present? Or is it like Lyme, where the test result means nothing? :D

A positive ANA is an indication that there is an autoimmune disease present.

Elevated ANA is usually associated with lupus. But you can have other autoimmune diseases (e.g. diabetes) and have normal ANA levels. Also, elevated ANA is not slam dunk lupus. Other things can cause elevation, but lupus is what you come across most when googling ANA.