ACN Latitudes Forums

help!help! Son's neck is so stiff can't move

lismom

His neck was hurting last night badly, but this morning its stiff. I mean he really can't move it without extreme pain. I have ice pack on it now but I know thats not going to be enough. Ibuprofen has been useless. We don't have our LLMD appt. untill March 31. He can't move it. I know some its herxing but if anyone has or has heard of remedies please let me know.

Edited by lismom

His neck was hurting last night badly, but this morning its stiff. I mean he really can't move it without extreme pain. I have ice pack on it now but I know thats not going to be enough. Ibuprofen has been useless. We don't have our LLMD appt. untill March 31. He can't move it. I know some its herxing but if anyone has or has heard of remedies please let me know.

is he on antibiotics? There was a thread running on neck stiffness a while back, just couldn't find it for you. BUT neck stiffness is concerning.Need to rule out acquired infections.

Is there fever, nausea, headache, blurry vision, absences (mini seizures/staring spells), toothache, loose tooth? or just neck pain. Why neck pain?

Unless its acute trauma on a body part, don't use cold packs for children with suspected or otherwise Lyme. Lyme kids have blood thickening issues. Cold packs will only block circulation more. use a warm pack instead and on a greater surface area to improve blood flow/perfusion. Wrap a hot/warm pack around neck loosely.

Actually warming the base of neck blood vessels (in front) improves bloodflow to the brain in our kids and helps with several cortical issues, esp anxiety.

If you have turmeric at home I use a poultice- turmeric , garlic (fresh paste), Fuller's earth and olive oil paste to pull out toxins and help with pain.

Is he sleeping well? maybe not due to pain. Lack of adequate sleep increases inflammatory cytokines which inturn increases pain. Anyway he can get good sleep? Benadryl would be a good idea after infection has been ruled out.

If your son is on Lyme meds already, magnesium also helps. Oral mag is fine if he's being treated for Lyme. Otherwise it can feed untreated spirochetes. Then I would use transdermal mag lotion.

Hot/warm as tolerated epsom salt baths with ginger essential oil and rosemary are good for aches and pains too and detox.

Jodie

is he on antibiotics? There was a thread running on neck stiffness a while back, just couldn't find it for you. BUT neck stiffness is concerning.Need to rule out acquired infections.

Is there fever, nausea, headache, blurry vision, absences (mini seizures/staring spells), toothache, loose tooth? or just neck pain. Why neck pain?

Unless its acute trauma on a body part, don't use cold packs for children with suspected or otherwise Lyme. Lyme kids have blood thickening issues. Cold packs will only block circulation more. use a warm pack instead and on a greater surface area to improve blood flow/perfusion. Wrap a hot/warm pack around neck loosely.

Actually warming the base of neck blood vessels (in front) improves bloodflow to the brain in our kids and helps with several cortical issues, esp anxiety.

If you have turmeric at home I use a poultice- turmeric , garlic (fresh paste), Fuller's earth and olive oil paste to pull out toxins and help with pain.

Is he sleeping well? maybe not due to pain. Lack of adequate sleep increases inflammatory cytokines which inturn increases pain. Anyway he can get good sleep? Benadryl would be a good idea after infection has been ruled out.

If your son is on Lyme meds already, magnesium also helps. Oral mag is fine if he's being treated for Lyme. Otherwise it can feed untreated spirochetes. Then I would use transdermal mag lotion.

Hot/warm as tolerated epsom salt baths with ginger essential oil and rosemary are good for aches and pains too and detox.

Jodie

Yes he's on antibiotics. Omnicef and zith. The muscles in the neck spasm and now it hurts and stiff. He sleeps well. His only other obvious symptoms are knee, back pain and fatigue. I'll try the warmth instead. How do you find magnesium lotion?

My son had this. It was sooo sad to see. He literally could not move his neck. By chance we had an appt with the LLMD two days into it. He works out of an office that has a chiropractor in it. She did this 'cupping' technique and he got better almost immediately! I have been to chiro's for years and never saw this done. It left big hicky things on him but it sure did the trick!

I think seeing a chiropractor is a great idea. Also, just wanted to add that you need to be careful about using heat. If there is any swelling, you can make it worse with heat. I would use ice until you've had someone look at it and make sure there's no swelling - you can't go wrong with ice.

Jodie

Yes he's on antibiotics. Omnicef and zith. The muscles in the neck spasm and now it hurts and stiff. He sleeps well. His only other obvious symptoms are knee, back pain and fatigue. I'll try the warmth instead. How do you find magnesium lotion?

Magnederm gel from designs for health. Magnesium helps with muscle spasms. If he's on abx for lyme already you can use the oral magnesium. Yes, chiropractic manipulation can help- cranio sacral work. I would go to a specifically trained one though.