ACN Latitudes Forums

Raspy Voice - abx side effect?

adkmom

Has anyone experienced a raspy voice (sounds like he's getting laryingitis) with their child? ds is on azithro and cedfnir. Can't imagine him having strep with all those antibiotics? Symptoms also appear a bit worse, along with the voice change.

thanks for sharing.

darlene

I think it might be a herx. I was just reading Coping with Lyme and one of the symptoms she mentions is hoarseness, so it sounds like you are on the right track and it is drawing something out. She says that herxing is a great sign because it means the meds are DOING something.

My son also gets a raspy voice. He got it really bad right after he started azith a few weeks ago then he went into a full blown illness with a lot of nasal drainage and ear infection. We put him back on augmentin in addition to the azith and that cleared up the drainage and ear but every once in a while I still hear a slight raspy sound in his voice. I have wondered if it is related to the azith. and if it is a herx.

Dr. B's office thought it could be from all the grunting/throat clearing tic that he's had for the past 2 weeks. He's stopped that tic (for now), so we're going to see if his voice clears up as well. Such a guessing game!! :wacko:

How does your child take all of his meds/supplements? If pills, are you confident he does chew or crush them between his teeth? My mother's vocal cords were temporarily burned or something from chewing certain meds that were not intended to be crushed.

Has anyone experienced a raspy voice (sounds like he's getting laryingitis) with their child? ds is on azithro and cedfnir. Can't imagine him having strep with all those antibiotics? Symptoms also appear a bit worse, along with the voice change.

thanks for sharing.

darlene

Edited by Vickie

Darlene,

I have the same annoying symptom from herxing. The other day I thought, people probably think I have a vocal tic as a grown adult! I was at a Lyme/PANDAS support meeting a few weeks ago and I could hardly get my voice going at one point and it wasn't stage fright. I don't usually get stage fright plus it's a very small group of people. Just one of those annoyances. I talked to Dr. Beals about it 2 wks ago b/c I noted it as one of my top 3 symtpoms. The drainage thing has affected my kids and I too this past month and I am thinking it's a herx. We're not sick w/ a cold. Just some post nasal drip.

Kristie

Edited by kmom

I have also wondered if could was from reflux as another possibility for my son. My son is taking all liquid medicines which I wonder if that contributes to raspiness/possible reflux. Also, we were trying the supplement NAC with Aidan - I was wondering if that caused it for him since that was something fairly new. I have since stopped giving that supplement to Aidan since I wonder if it may be causing that and a blip in negative behavior we had last week. (of course that could be a herx also.)

Enough reflux can also burn the vocal cords and cause raspiness or a voice that sounds rather robotic.

I have also wondered if could was from reflux as another possibility for my son. My son is taking all liquid medicines which I wonder if that contributes to raspiness/possible reflux. Also, we were trying the supplement NAC with Aidan - I was wondering if that caused it for him since that was something fairly new. I have since stopped giving that supplement to Aidan since I wonder if it may be causing that and a blip in negative behavior we had last week. (of course that could be a herx also.)

Kristie,

Did you get the email from my personal account? was having trouble with it. Did Beals say anything about the voice issue?

vickie,

He takes the liquid. But the raspiness seems to be disappearing, right along with the blinking/grunting tic. Maybe it was herxing.

By the way, are you dealing with Lyme as well...I thought just Pandas?

darlene

No Lyme, textbook PANDAS. But when I popped on here and saw your post, thought I should share something that may help. Glad it's improving!

vickie,

He takes the liquid. But the raspiness seems to be disappearing, right along with the blinking/grunting tic. Maybe it was herxing.

By the way, are you dealing with Lyme as well...I thought just Pandas?

darlene

Not sure this will help anyone but the thought of kids chewing pills that are meant to be swallowed reminded me of trying that as a kid. Yuck! :( Anyway, back in Nov. I got my kids this pill trainer cup for $2 at the local family owned drug store. It has this slotted ledge on the inside of the cup to hold the pill. As you tilt the cup back, the liquid flows thru the slotted ledge and helps the pill flow into mouth and down throat. My DS6 swallowed a pill on 2nd try. My DD9 did it in about 4 tries. They used it for a couple of days and then were swallowing pills like champs!

ADKMOM, just emailed you back and forgot to mention..did u check out LLM's post about Lyme causing auto-immunity? That's basically what I learned (altho this journal refers to carditis--another form of autoimmune response) and shared w/ you last week about Dr. J explaining how Lyme bands 31 & 34 are linked to autoimmunity, which is where he thinks PANDAS could have entered into the big picture first for us.