ACN Latitudes Forums

ASO Titre results - questions

DandV

Hi...I got the results back from my dd ASO titre. it said 60 <116 I'm assuming that 60 is her number and <116 is the norm range. What does this mean and where should I go from here?

Long story short...January 1st she woke up a different kid. All the symptoms of PANDAS (of course I did not know about PANDAS until recently)

Any comments.

Veronica

Low ASO titers are meaningless. The test can confirm a recent strep infection (rising or elevated titers) but cannot rule strep out. So, in your case, all it really tells you is that your child is not making a lot of antibody to this particular strep exo-toxin.

Has your daughter had a throat culture, grown out for 72 hours? If not, I would get one asap.

Low titers do not ever rule out PANDAS. A lot of children with PANDAS just do not get elevated titers. Many drs think if a titer is normal, that means the child cannot have strep, and this is very incorrect.

Has your daughter been on any antibiotics since her behavior changed in January?

Colleen

Thanks Colleen,

No my daughter has not been on any meds for a long while. Is there something that I could print out and bring to the doctors to strengthen my case??

Thanks

Veronica

Has your daughter had a throat culture, grown out for 72 hours? If not, I would get one asap.

Low titers do not ever rule out PANDAS. A lot of children with PANDAS just do not get elevated titers. Many drs think if a titer is normal, that means the child cannot have strep, and this is very incorrect.

Has your daughter been on any antibiotics since her behavior changed in January?

Colleen