ACN Latitudes Forums

Back at square one

Meds were changed and now I feel like we have been throtteled back in to september. Am trying to get her out of the house to get her bloodwork tht Dr.B had ordered. Hope to find out if she still has strep or what in the world is going on. Prayers and good vibes would be awesome. I was so excited after our last visit with him, and happy to be put on azith for the myco p.

How do you tell if your kid has yeast overgrowth? I can't seem to get any probiotics in her. Is there one that I could put in juice that she would never know?

Guest TwinCitiesMom

Meds were changed and now I feel like we have been throtteled back in to september. Am trying to get her out of the house to get her bloodwork tht Dr.B had ordered. Hope to find out if she still has strep or what in the world is going on. Prayers and good vibes would be awesome. I was so excited after our last visit with him, and happy to be put on azith for the myco p.

How do you tell if your kid has yeast overgrowth? I can't seem to get any probiotics in her. Is there one that I could put in juice that she would never know?

We felt a lot of the overly goofy, silly, age-inappropriate behavior was due to yeast. A lab test ordered by a biomedical practitioner helped support our suspicion. As a result, we add VSL#3 DS powdered probiotics to a coconut ice cream shake that our DS drinks daily midway between augmentin doses. We also did 2 rounds of fluconazole. It took a while, but we are not experiencing that kind of behavior at the moment. Also made dietary changes like GFCF and no dairy.

You could do the OAT test from Great Plains Labratory (very easy test, just first morning urine, they send you everything, including bag for fed-ex pick up)

It will tell you if there is yeast overgrowth, or bacteria in the gut, etc.

Sending PV's------

my son actually LIKES the tablets called "yum-yum adolphilis" by Jarrow they come in a yellow ornagish box. We get ours at whole foods, but I've seen them at other places as well. Taste like candy.

There are also little chocolate bars, by ATTUNE, here is a review of them. My kids fight over them. they have 6 billon active cultures. They are delicous, but pricey at about 1.50 per bar. If you buy by the box, like I do, they cost less. They are sold in refrigerator sections of many supermarkets and you could probably buy them on line.

http://www.healthyfellow.com/556/attune-chocolate-bars-review/

DS USUALLY gets some kind of probiotic in his lunch - in the form of a yogurt or one of these bars. And usually the "yum-yum adophilis" or a pearl or other pill before bed. He has his antibitoic with breakfast and dinner.

So sorry you're slipping backward some; hopefully, you'll be able to stop it in its tracks and make up ground quickly, with the right interventions.

Culturelle makes a powder for kids that can be mixed in applesauce, yogurt, even juice or a smoothie; you can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe. This is lactobillus GG which is not readily killed off by antibiotics, so you don't have to worry about spacing it out necessarily from the antibiotics, though that's probably still not a bad idea when you can.

You can test for Candida albicans with a blood test.

We used a strawberry banana flavored probiotic w/20 bill CFU from Vitamin Shoppe until DS learned to swallow pills.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=AH-1109

Edited by LLM

Sorry for the backslide..i know it is so hard to be somewhere good and loose it all..

we recently changed cocktail to pursue lymes..i think c.diff has shown up and we are treating that even though labs have not come back...and then will readdess lymes once stable...

why did you change meds...if not pursuing other infections, can you go back to the one that worked?

besides probis listed...there are a variety that come in powder form you can add to drinks and such...

prayers and pvs on the way

Sorry for the backslide..i know it is so hard to be somewhere good and loose it all..

we recently changed cocktail to pursue lymes..i think c.diff has shown up and we are treating that even though labs have not come back...and then will readdess lymes once stable...

why did you change meds...if not pursuing other infections, can you go back to the one that worked?

besides probis listed...there are a variety that come in powder form you can add to drinks and such...

prayers and pvs on the way

Fixit- Your inbox is full again :)

Thanks for the good vibes and info about this and the melaton. It is all appreciated. The doc should have the lab results 2marro and I will be calling him. She woke up today with good eye color and mood. But the evening I can see it all comming back. This time I hurried up and gave her an ibuphrofin.

So sorry things are bad. An easy way to look for yeast is to simply look at her tongue, a white covering indicates candida.

If you can't get probiotics in, how about kefir? It's actually pretty yummy, and I bet you could even add probiotic powder to it to boost it up. Why are you thinking yeast?

my son actually LIKES the tablets called "yum-yum adolphilis" by Jarrow they come in a yellow ornagish box. We get ours at whole foods, but I've seen them at other places as well. Taste like candy.

There are also little chocolate bars, by ATTUNE, here is a review of them. My kids fight over them. they have 6 billon active cultures. They are delicous, but pricey at about 1.50 per bar. If you buy by the box, like I do, they cost less. They are sold in refrigerator sections of many supermarkets and you could probably buy them on line.

http://www.healthyfellow.com/556/attune-chocolate-bars-review/

DS USUALLY gets some kind of probiotic in his lunch - in the form of a yogurt or one of these bars. And usually the "yum-yum adophilis" or a pearl or other pill before bed. He has his antibitoic with breakfast and dinner.

Norcalmom and others: I'm interested in the yogurt you buy. I got freaked out at the grocery store realizing that the s. in s. thermopile stood for streptococcus. I read up on it and it seems to be an important probiotic for digestion, etc. but is it dangerous for PANDAs kids? Or completely unrelated? My ds was eating 2 activia's a day until I stopped it with this latest episode of tic flare ups. Thank you.

Shadowtails - sorry for the backslide. I am wondering when you changed meds and if you contacted Dr. B about the backslide? He is usually pretty good about problem solving these things. Do you use an antifungal? Probiotics help to keep good bacteria in the gut, but they do not remove yeast. You may need an antifungal and a probiotic. You may also need a different antibiotic. I would let him know you are having problems. It may take him a couple days to get back to you, but it would be worth it.

They do make probiotic juice, Good Belly Juice. I've only seen it at Whole Foods. You can also try Kefir which is similar to a yogurt drink. Will she tell you why she won't take the probiotic?

She hates yogurt and is sick of taking meds.. But she is taking all the ones that the doc prescribed. I will look into the good belly juice.