ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics and cytokines

The baby was sleeping so I had a few minutes to look into this research. Interesting as noted on braintalk that two of the things of benefit to lowering intereleukin12 and tnfalpha are fish oils and carnitine.

Somewhere while I was looking at all this info, I found a reference to how cytokines build up beacuse of too many electrons, that is, oxidative stress.

Funny how these same things keep coming up.

I guess the question here is are these research findings the chicken or the egg??????

Caz

Guest daniel

CAS,CHERI,

Does carnitine deficiency has to do with fatty acid disorder?

Carnitine deficiency is a serious problem?

Please elaborate more, I am seeing some connection here, that u guys might be seeing already..

thanks

daniel

From what I understand, carnitine helps fatty acids get into the mitochondria part of the cell, which is where the fatty acids are "burned" as fuel for the body.

In the braintalk post you posted elsewhere I think they meant long chain fatty acids, not medium chain, as both omega 3 and 6 are long chain - saturated fats are most medium chain I understand.

My son also had tests done that showed he was high in saturated fats and well below reference range for omega 3 and 6 dha, epa and gla, so I spent quite some time researching these. I am not an expert by any stretch, but I do now know that it is quite hard for the body to digest/absorb omega 3/6 fatty acids. They are best taken with a digestive enzyme that includes lipase, and make sure your zinc level is up, as this is a necessary part of the converstion process. Use good quality pharmacy grade oil, not just stuff from the health food store, as there is a huge difference in quality. Nordic Naturals are supposed to be good.

Here is a web site that tells some things you can do for treating a high triglyceride (thats the bad saturated type fats) level. It also talks about carnitine and how it helps with fats. It was just a web site that I found while looking at tnfalpha and carnitine - cant always trust everything you find on the web, but it is a good place to start.

My Webpage

There are differing reports on this forum about which oils worked best for their kids, I guess this depends on why they are deficient in the first place. I have used fish oil, but recently changed to flax oil, have not found either to be better than the other, but time will tell. Theoretiacally fish oil is the easiest form to get the necessary bits from, with flax oil it is a harder process for the body to convert the alpha linolenic acid (ala)through to epa and dha. In fish oil, it is already in the necessary form. Another thing about flax oil is that it contains omega 3, 6 and 9. Apparently the body find omega 6's easier to convert so it used its resourses (minerals,vitamins) in this process, and if you are defiecient, it may then not use the omega 3's. This is a simplistic explanation, but there is a large debate about whether most people even need omega 6, as our diet is already high in them, and maybe this is one reason that so many people are omega 3 fatty acid deficient.

The baby is pulling at my arm, he obviously wants something, so must go.

Caz

Caz

VERY interesting, though I need to reread to understand better. FYI, our recent Great Plains test showed high suberic. The analysis said that it could be caused by increased intake of medium chain triglycerides found in coconut oil. (I have switch to much more coconut oil vs butter in the last 6 months for better adrenal support). The then says: regardless of cause, carnitine supplementation may be beneficial. Doesn't that contradict

At one point my son and I both tested low in carnitine, but we both supplement now. I suspect it works well for many here because they are deficient, and this is creating problems.

Also, I have a stubborn Vitamin E deficiency that one year of supplementation of 400 IU of Vitamin E didn't correct. I even started trying to take it with Houston Zyne Prime for fats. I am cautiously moving up my dose and will retest in a few months. I read it can be related to poor ability to metabolize fats (or to excess polyunsaturated fats, which use up the body's Vitamin E).

My son was low normal in Omega 3's when we first tested and high in Omega 6's. He was high in saturated fats. The analysis says: high levels of odd chain fatty acids may indicate an increased need for B12 and biotin. He is getting those now anyway. I wish I had the money to retest that all now

We do Nordic Naturals DPApro for Omega3. Then for pyroluria, Omega 6's are recommended...so I occasionally do evening primrose oil. The fats are sooo confusing. I kept thinking one gel cap of Omega 6 can't hurt? But I then worry about balance. Like when we supplemented calcium and created a magnesium deficiency. (Oddly, this just happened to me also. A prior test showed too high magnesium, so I didn't supplement it, just calcium and now I am magnesium deficient!)

Finally the report showed inflammation tendencies and says fatty acids are needed to control this.

I think oxidative stress is huge here.

Claire

Caz, Claire,

Just a couple of thoughts. Initially, I thought the switch (from Bonnies fish oil) to flax/borage was working well . Lately, about 1 month later, I have seen deterioration in mood. Occasional head shaking, like twice every 3rd day. Who can say if related, but I'm going back to fish oil. I initially switched to see if it had any effect on night time itching, accompanied by little bumpy red spots and and little white hives. It has not changed with eliminating fish oil.

I agree with Claire, this really is confusing.

Here is a link that I found a little easier to understand.

http://borntoexplore.org/omega.htm

kim

Claire, Direct Labs has a magnesium RBC test for $69.00 This is the one that shows use within the cell as opposed to the magnesium in blood serum for 39.00

Great web site Kim, that really explained in simple terms about the concerns with omega 6's. I have a bottle of flax oil here that contains 1000mg oil, of which 450mg is omega 3 ala, and 100mg is omega 6 and 100mg is omega 9. I wonder what the rest is?

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard of or used inosine?

The reason for my question is that today I had my kid at the pediatrician today for his 6 month followup on desinsitization needles for dust mites, and the decision was made that even though he is sensitive to these via ige blood and skin prick, the desensitization is not helping his hayfever. The dr said maybe he has vasomotor rhinitis, rather than allergic rhinitis (I didn't know there was a difference...)Anyway, I put vasomotor rhinitis into pubmed and in a few papers it talked about nitric oxide and how it can cause rhinitis.

To cut a long story short, I spent a few hours looking into nitric oxide. On braintalk I had heard that some suspected nitric oxide could be part of TS, and so I delved into it a bit. It seems that TNF alpha can stimulate nitric oxide, so then I looked more into TNF which had been implicated in TS in the above paper. I came accross a paper that talks about a product called inosine which inhibits both interleukin 12 and TNF.

When I then put inosine and ts into the search engine, there was actually a paper on some research done in China on this, hence my question on if anyone has used it.

inosine and tourette's

It is natural product, not a pharmaceutical. From what I gather it is not an amino acid, but a byproduct of certain events that happen in the body. It helps the body produce atp (part of the krebs cycle I believe) and it is the atp production that helps in its antiinflammatory properties.

Any comments on its use?

inosine,

Although it sounds great.

I am concern on safety issues of

contamination in product

not well tested

safety issues for kids..

I am also so surprise that no follow up since 1990 to do more research on this herb.

Can we change our diet to acquire more inosine naturally?

If yes I would definitely try..

Great articles from CAZ and CHEMAR!!

thanks

perhaps one can increase folic acid for inosine?

or eat more organ meats..

I grew up eating orgran meats..my mom use to tell me it is good for me..

read the sentence about folic acid absorbtion relating to disease in intestine..

----

Folic acid plays an important role in the biochemistry of amino acids; it is critical for the interconversion of the amino acids serine and glycine and in histidine metabolism. Folic acid also is necessary for the biosynthesis of the nucleic acids thymidine, adenine, guanine, and inosine. Because of its role in amino acid and nucleic acid biosynthesis, folic acid supplementation during pregnancy has been shown to prevent most birth defects involving the brain and spinal cord, known as neural tube defects.22

Folic acid is found in organ meats such as liver, green leafy vegetables, yeast, and some fruits. Deficiencies in folic acid are most often observed with poor intake or alcoholism but are sometimes seen in pregnancy where there is an increased need for folic acid. The recommended daily allowance for pregnant women is at least twice that for nonpregnant women.23 Folic acid deficiencies can also be observed from reduced absorption due to diseases in the intestine. Additionally anticonvulsants, such as phenytoin, phenobarbital, and primidone appear to not only to inhibit folic acid absorption, but also to increase catabolism.24 There is also concern that supplementation with folic acid may impact the effectiveness of these anticonvulsants.

It has intreguided me about folic acid increasing inosine. Looking further into this last night, I found that inosine is a byproduct of the "methylation" cycle, something to do with adenosine being turned into inosine via an enzymatic step.

If methylatin isn't working well, then some of these byproducts will not adequately be produced by the body.

'

If inosine is such a great antiinflammatory why is it not more well researched in either Tourette's, or autism, or even any of the other inflammatory conditions like arthritis etc.

I think if increasing folic acid helps, then this is probably a more natural way to get this inosine rather than supplementing it directly.

More info on Inosine

What it does

Where found

Helpful for

Are you deficient?

Amount to take

Side Effects & Interactions

References

What does it do?

Inosine is a nucleoside, one of the basic compounds comprising cells. It is a precursor to adenosine, an important energy molecule, and plays many supportive roles in the body.

Based upon anecdotal reports by Russian and Eastern European athletes, inosine has been investigated for exercise-boosting (ergogenic) effects. However, controlled studies have concluded that inosine does not improve athletic performance and may even impair it.1 2

Inosine is a precursor to uric acid, a compound that occurs naturally in the body. Uric acid is believed to block the effect of a toxic free-radical compound (peroxynitrite) that may play a role in the development of multiple sclerosis (MS).3 In an attempt to raise uric acid levels, ten patients with MS were treated with inosine in amounts up to 3 grams per day for 46 weeks. Three of the ten treated patients showed some evidence of improved function and the others remained stable.4 Controlled studies are needed to confirm these preliminary results.

Where is it found?

Inosine is found in brewer’s yeast and organ meats. It is also available as a supplement.

Inosine has been used in connection with the following conditions (refer to the individual health concern for complete information):

Rating Health Concerns

Multiple Sclerosis

Reliable and relatively consistent scientific data showing a substantial health benefit.

Contradictory, insufficient, or preliminary studies suggesting a health benefit or minimal health benefit.

For an herb, supported by traditional use but minimal or no scientific evidence. For a supplement, little scientific support and/or minimal health benefit.

Who is likely to be deficient?

Inosine is not an essential nutrient, so deficiencies do not occur.

How much is usually taken?

Although a common amount of inosine taken by athletes is 5,000–6,000 mg per day, little scientific evidence supports the use of this supplement in any amount.

Are there any side effects or interactions?

No side effects have been reported with the use of inosine for two to five days in the limited research available. However, unused inosine is converted by the body to uric acid, which may be hazardous to people at risk for gout.

At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with inosine.