ACN Latitudes Forums

4 year old screaming for 45 minutes

My wife gave my four year a graham cracker.

She broke them in half.

He threw them and screamed at her.

It hasn't stopped yet. He keeps saying, it's her fault.

He is on prednisone and abx for high strep titers.

I don't like either of them.

:(:wacko:

May have to move to homeopathy with him soon. His stomach is fouled up on abx-omnicef once daily.

Sorry. Just venting a little.

Michael

It sounds like my house - my 3 year old's PANDAS issues revolved mainly around food. We learned the hard way never to break a graham cracker. And if you ever hear of someone going postal on the Kellogg's pop tart factory - that would be my husband - stressed to the max by one too many broken pop tarts!

Our ERP therapist has actually started having us bring snacks to her office so she can help us with techniques for this type of thing. I'd like to say it gets better - because it does, but it hasn't gone completely away for us though.

Good luck - and hang in there. I feel your pain!!

Sigh... just sigh... I wish I had some words of wisdom on this one, but all I can say is that neither you or your wife is losing your grip on what is normal. This is not. It is not your fault. Thinking of you and your family...

I am really sorry you are going through this. We have lived this life and its not pleasant. Before I understood it better, it was nearly my undoing. We went through this for a year before we got the PANDAS diagnosis. My DS was prescribed lamictal last summer and it did help but not completely. Treatment w/ abx is what completely shut the raging down. There is hope. You just have to find the right combo of treatment. Hang in there the best you can. Many of us here can totally relate.

My wife gave my four year a graham cracker.

She broke them in half.

He threw them and screamed at her.

It hasn't stopped yet. He keeps saying, it's her fault.

He is on prednisone and abx for high strep titers.

I don't like either of them.

:(:wacko:

May have to move to homeopathy with him soon. His stomach is fouled up on abx-omnicef once daily.

Sorry. Just venting a little.

Michael

Sorry, I emphasize with you. My son also used to be particular about how his food was, Heck he still is but in a different way. last night I asked him if he wanted baked ziti or pizza for lunch... He loves baked ziti and excitedly said he wants baked ziti. Week this morning he freaked out raging he wanted pizza....he told me he wanted pizza...sigh its a no win situation.

Good luck,

Tami

My 3yr old goes insane if her food gets broken or cut up at all. We are gluten free and a lot of the crackers and bars are super crumbly so it makes for a very stressful situation. We just finished a 30 day steroid taper and she ate nothing but potato chips and apple sauce for the month. It was awful. I was really hoping the steroids would help with her feeding issues but they actually got worse. I think it was due to her reflux flaring.

-Amber

Is this your first time trying steroids?

We just did 5 days of prednisone with my daughter a few months back - and it was not pretty - her rages became more apparent.

I've heard this can happen the first time on steroids, and I've also heard sometimes it takes some time to see the effect of the steroid. (Don't know if these are TRUE statements, but I've been told...)

I hope things get better for your family.

Noelle

Since Thenmama gave so many good tips - I thought I'd add one too. Your guy is not much older than mine, and likely still small enough for this to work.

We got our son a sensory swing - like the kind that are used for children with autism. It's like a lycra hammock but both ends hang from the same hook (we found one on ebay reasonably priced).

The first time we used it was in the middle of a knock down drag em out full on meltdown and within SECONDS he calmed. He now calls it his "special chair" and asks to go in at the first sign of anxiety. It has made things SOOOO much better. We've noticed that he stays in for about as long as his tantrums usually last - so I think that he's staying in until the anxiety subsides.

It has been a lifesaver for us. I know it's not a reasonable option for some of the bigger kids - but it worked wonders for us! It also gave our son safe place to go when he just couldn't control his rage. I don't know how we lived without it for as long as we did!!