ACN Latitudes Forums

Cod liver oil in AM or just a "good day"?

kengela

I posted this ? on the ADHD forum with no response so maybe someone here will respond.Do you think that giving Cod Liver Oil(Nordic Naturals Arctic-D 1/2 tsp for 42lb dd6) in the AM rather than PM would make very marked improvement in focus at school? I met with dds teacher on Monday and as I expected she suggested we "speak to a doctor about medication for ADHD" On Tuesday I gave dd her cod liver oil before shcool instead of at night,she came home with a note saying she "was focused and completed all her work on time all day. Whatever you said to her sure worked!" I almost could not resist informing this lady that ADHD can not be made to disappear overnight by "saying something" to the child,but would like some feedback from her this week especially so I will add this to the long list of things Ill tell her nearer the end of the year. Anyway I couldnt wait for a report on dd today but she got lucky and had no school because we got just enough freezing rain to cancel school,but it was a nice sunny "pretty warm for Michigan" day. It would be so great to hear that someone has had such luck with this type of supplement,because I know this teacher already thought dd "can focus if she wants to"(yet thinks she needs to be medicated!?!) so now that dd has had a whole good day Im sure now she will really beleive that dd just doesn't "want" to focus.

I am a believer in the power of CLO!!! While a one day trial isn't really enough to know for sure....

I give my daughter 100% of the daily recommended- 1/2 in the morning and 1/2in the evening. When I've run out and not given it for a few days, I can really tell the difference and her behavior reminds me that I really need to get some more.

I would also ask your child if any other students were absent that day. Since you're in the ADHD forum, I'm not sure if you're child is PANDAS, but I found last year that when a certain child was absent, that my kid didn't get in trouble. This other kid was "bullying" my kid (my child was afraid of him), was usually in all colors of trouble himself, & had a lot of strep (we were undx'd at the time tho'). Could be tho', that if there are disturbances in the room that it could lend to more distractibility & less teacher tolerance for "attention" issues.

I would also ask your child if any other students were absent that day. Since you're in the ADHD forum, I'm not sure if you're child is PANDAS, but I found last year that when a certain child was absent, that my kid didn't get in trouble. This other kid was "bullying" my kid (my child was afraid of him), was usually in all colors of trouble himself, & had a lot of strep (we were undx'd at the time tho'). Could be tho', that if there are disturbances in the room that it could lend to more distractibility & less teacher tolerance for "attention" issues.

Wow..great observation..and something to think about...bullying triggering symptoms...and not really symptoms ..just trying to stay on guard and safe...or maybe getting in trouble trying to stay out of the way or using defense mechanisms...

And yes i think there is a clo could be a key for your child

I was considering trying to give CLO to my daughter. I would have to disguise it in a drink or something. Is that possible or is the taste to obvious? So far I haven't been able to hide fish oil in anything. She picks up on that right away and wigs out.

Dedee, can't remember if yours was the child who would not take any medicine or pills, but my daughter just takes the "gellcaps" of CLO, so no taste at all.

I was considering trying to give CLO to my daughter. I would have to disguise it in a drink or something. Is that possible or is the taste to obvious? So far I haven't been able to hide fish oil in anything. She picks up on that right away and wigs out.

Dedee, We are using Nordic Naturals Arctic-D CLO (Lemon-not sure there are any other flavors) and dd says it doesnt have much taste.She takes it and then qiuckly takes a bite of food or a drink.I had been giving it at night because I wasn't sure how the Vit D would effect her tics and after a couple weeks I did notice she seemed a little less hyper,but not much else.Then gave it in the AM Tuesday,got the note from the teacher then no school yesterday so am so anxious for her to get home today ,of course Im praying she comes home with another note saying how focused she was.

Yes, my daughter is the one that doesn't take meds. Thats why I wondered about the taste. I had found a liquid but didn't know how the taste is or if it was mild enough to hide in a drink or milk shake. Citrus is harder to hide, she doesn't drink juice and citrus is hard to hide in chocolate milk but if it is mild enough we can put in a milk shake or something. I am desperately looking for an Omega 3 supplement and fish oil hasn't been successful so far.

Dedee

Yes, my daughter is the one that doesn't take meds. Thats why I wondered about the taste. I had found a liquid but didn't know how the taste is or if it was mild enough to hide in a drink or milk shake. Citrus is harder to hide, she doesn't drink juice and citrus is hard to hide in chocolate milk but if it is mild enough we can put in a milk shake or something. I am desperately looking for an Omega 3 supplement and fish oil hasn't been successful so far.

Dedee

Dedee I just went and tasted dds clo it doesnt really have much flavor Im lucky dd will just take it but I do mix other supplements into flavored(not artificially) applesauce and find the tarter ones like strawberry and pomegrante seem to hide things pretty good.Ive also learned its good to find something-even a new flavor of a regular favorite that shes not familar with,so she wouldnt know there was something in it. Good luck! my dd wont take pills but I guess Im lucky she will take liquids.

Edited by kengela