ACN Latitudes Forums

language expression

Hi I did a search and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Has anyone found that their child is unable to get their thoughts to their mouth. My daughter has alot to say and sometimes I feel like she's from another country. She is unable to express her thoughts in a way where I can understand her point. My son who is the same age and also has pandas laughs at her because he is very bright. I'm trying to find out how I can explain this issue to the school. What can they look for to test because they aren't seeing what I am.

Thank you,

Tami

Hi I did a search and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Has anyone found that their child is unable to get their thoughts to their mouth. My daughter has alot to say and sometimes I feel like she's from another country. She is unable to express her thoughts in a way where I can understand her point. My son who is the same age and also has pandas laughs at her because he is very bright. I'm trying to find out how I can explain this issue to the school. What can they look for to test because they aren't seeing what I am.

Thank you,

Tami

Tami--You can ask the school to do an expressive language assessment on your daughter. The key to asking would be to be able to illustrate the change in your daughter's oral expressive language. Let us know how it goes--

Sounds like a language processing issue. A good SLP can test this. Your DD may need an IEP.

My DD did have problems in auditory and language processing for many years. She still has auditory processing issues but has strategies for compensating. Language processing has been resolved completely.

Nancy

Hi Tami,

I am an SLP and my pandas dd11 would have significant fluxuations in her verbal skills that would coincide with the other behaviors. Particularly word retrieval difficulties and circumlocution (talking around something w/o getting to the point.) She also had a frontal lisp. All of these went away with pandas treatment including the lisp. She did go to speech at her school, but this was before IVIG and I felt she did not demonstrate the awareness to implement what she was learning, so I pulled her out.

I'm not implying that you should not pursue testing, I'm just sharing my perspective as a skilled observer of my own kid. I do use what I know about word retrieval with her when she is studying to help her make connections for easier retrieval, but that would help anyone. Diane German is an SLP and word retrieval guru. She has a great book out called It's on the Tip of My Tongue and depending on your child's age you could use some of the techniques described in the book to help her make associations when she needs to memorize material for school.

If you send a letter into the school requesting a speech and language evaluation, that will get the ball rolling the fastest. The timeline starts ticking from the moment you sign the permission to evaluate; it is 60 calendar days.

Good luck!

Jill

Swedo made a mention about possible language regression on the Coffee Klatch talk last week. The question was I think asking if a speech delay could be a PANDAS symptom (which she didn't seem to think so, but I know my son had a delay & we think early onset PANDAS but anyway...). I wrote down "language regression" & "immune response." I don't know if there is any research per se to back this up, but maybe someone else remembers better what she said.

I will also say that at times my son(7) does have this issue...is more descriptive at times than others. Sometimes he'll make statements that I know what he means because I'm around him 24/7, but others would have absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Or he'll talk around an idea, & I'll help him flesh it out a bit. (I might check out that book JAG10...thanks!)

I would also recommend doing your own private speech evaluation if you can. For one thing, you can maybe get it done quicker. It also takes it out of the school system who may have high requirements for speech needs & an already crowded schedule. Seems an outside view would be harder to refute. They should use your report...our district used ours when ds was in public preschool for speech for a year. It also lets you say that you checked it out as an issue if it proves to be a non-issue that they will not let rest.