ACN Latitudes Forums

Food Issues

eljay1

Hi. My ds6 has started abx and steroids in the last couple of weeks. We have tried alot of natural treatments with a couple of DAN docs and have recently become a patient of dr. B. My son has had ocd and tics nonstop for about a year and a half. His tics and ocd have really quieted down (in fact the tics are just about gone) since he started the augmentin. One of our major problems (that no docs have any answers for) is with food allergies/intolerances. My son sneezes, gets congested, irritable, and gi upset with almost ALL food. Fruits are especially tough. The ONLY foods that have shown up in lab testing is milk and pollen (slight allergy to soy and wheat). The problem is, he is always hungry and would eat just about anything I give him, but we have had to limit to only the things that are the least offensive to his system. (Which really only leaves us with a few things.:() He has been treated for yeast and we are planning on treating again now that he is on abx and steroids. I think mold from fruit is a big issue--but I am open to any ideas. I have often wondered if ivig would make a huge difference and help with this particular issue. Help!!!

hi - only read your post quickly but the reaction to 'all foods especially fruit' makes me wonder if you should investigate salicylate sensitivity. It is in many foods and so can be a difficult one to eliminate. Some kids don't have to elimante all foods containing it but can do a modified diet after doing the elimantion diet. You want to look at the Feingold diet.. and maybe (this is what I am considering doing for our son as a test 'cos the idea of doing the full salicylate elimination deit is too horrendous for us) try an enzyme called No-Fenol that is supposed to give a lot of relief for those suffering with salicylate sensitivity.

hope you sort it all out.. good luck

ps you can find lists of low/med/high salicylate foods on the internet.. it might be interesting to compare what your child can eat without reaction to one of those lists...

Edited by dut

Hi

Want to suggest a comprehensive GI panel, something like metametrix 2100, or diagnostex GI, in addition to testing for food allergies and sensitivites (igE/ IgG) through blood.

IgE food allergies are inborn.

IgG food sensitivities are developed from something usually gone wrong in the intestine, an infection, dysbiosis, immune problem or a gut-based food reaction, like to gluten or dairy.

A comprehensive GI panel looks at everything that is growing in the gut, the good and the bad, as well as GI function such as IgA production, inflammation, fermentation, digestive enzymes, antibodies to gluten and you can also test gut-based antibodies to other food groups such as soy, dairy, eggs, and more.

Testing IgG food sensitivities without a comprehensive look at what's acutally going on in the gut is missing the boat. food sensitivities like this are in reaction to something creating maldigestion or leaky gut, and its important to find out what that is. so testing for all of it, the GI terrain as well as the individual food allergies and sensitivities, is the best way to go.

If you really clear up the gut problem, his digestion will get better and the sensitivities usually clear up! that's a good thing!!

i think the alatesse IgG / IgE kit is really good and also inexpensive - under $140 for 120 IgG foods and 30 IgE.

I hope this helps.

blessings

amy

Hi,

First of all, the cause of the upset is the abx and the steroids. You already have a child with a leaky gut so by definition, abx and steroids will harm it more.

So what do you do?

Igg and allergy tests are useless, IMHO. They were a waste of time on my first son. The comprehensive panel may be helpful. But once you get the results, what good will it do?

Best to start from scratch, hard though it is. Put him on the McBride-Campbell Gut and Psychology Syndrome diet (GAPS). Let him heal. It is what I would like to do most with my sons but I am only half of the parenting picture. And of course they will scream and kick and yell at losing foods they love. But your child is already troubled by so many foods, doing this diet might not be as much of a struggle.

Good luck.

Michael

Thank you all for your thoughts. I guess I should have added that we have done all of the testing (both standard and alternative) that would help us see what is happening in the gut. Initially, we found some food sensitivities and yeast issues, but that's it. Also, he eats only meat, some veggies, some fruits (very little now) and some chips. He drinks only water with stevia, and trader jo's carbonated water. Seriously, we are very limited. I wouldn't have to take anything a way from him, because he's not eating any of the things that could be a problem (other that the salicylate issue). I have looked into that, as well, but then he wouldn't be able to eat anything at all, and that isn't an option. As for the abx and steroids, we just started them. He had never been on any before (well a few abx here and there). I tried to keep him off for the last year to see if the gut would heal, but we haven't seen any changes. He has baffled all of the docs we have been to. Just thought I would see if anyone else has these issues and has seen progress with various treatments. Thanks.

Tough nut to crack, it sounds like.

Then you don't have far to go. Do you have anyone who preaches/prescribes the GAPS who can do a consult in your area?

Here's the intro

http://www.gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html

Chicken soup for days! :lol:

You may need to take longer on the early phases. If he's not ODD, then maybe this can work.

I live in the NYC area and I know a consultant. I don't know where you are.

My immediate reaction is no chips and no carbonation, both cause digestive discomfort.

Sorry for your struggles. I know what that's about.

Michael

From the intro, note, to get a good gauge. (much less expensive too) Test with the chips and even the sparkling water! My son tested at NAET as allergic to water!

SENSITIVITY TEST

Take a drop of the food in question (if the food is solid, mash and mix with a bit of water) and place it on the inside of the wrist of the patient. Do it at bedtime. Let the drop dry on the skin, then let your patient go to sleep. In the morning check the spot: if there is an angry red reaction, then avoid that food for a few weeks, and then try again. If there is no reaction, then go ahead and introduce it gradually starting from a small amount.

From the intro, note, to get a good gauge. (much less expensive too) Test with the chips and even the sparkling water! My son tested at NAET as allergic to water!

SENSITIVITY TEST

Take a drop of the food in question (if the food is solid, mash and mix with a bit of water) and place it on the inside of the wrist of the patient. Do it at bedtime. Let the drop dry on the skin, then let your patient go to sleep. In the morning check the spot: if there is an angry red reaction, then avoid that food for a few weeks, and then try again. If there is no reaction, then go ahead and introduce it gradually starting from a small amount.

Thanks! I will try this. On a side note, we did a form of NAET over summer. Didn't get too far with it. We live in OH, but I will google the diet you're talking about.

This is just a thought...have you heard of fructose malabsorbtion? Fruit such as apples, pears (also in juices as a filler) and the onion family can cause merry havoc. It is surprisingly common - thought to be suffered by about 10% (some say 30%!) of the population. The FODMAP diet is followed by those who suffer this. Sue Shepherd has done work on FODMAPS. Here's a link.

http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/fructose-malabsorption