ACN Latitudes Forums

Motrin

Yes, I would go by weight. If your dd is closer to 100 pounds, I would give her 400mg 3x daily. If you are going to do advil for more than a few days I would drop to 1-2 x daily.

If your dd is closer to 60-70 pounds I would stick with 200mg 3-4x daily. Give it 1-2x daily longer term (weeks/months).

Also, give Advil (Ibuprofen) with some food.

Wilma, you want to make sure your child gets the correct dose for her weight. It will usually say an amount based on age. I don't know if you are giving pure "ibuprofen" in tablet form or a "Motrin" liquid mixed with other active ingredients. Please see the Motrin link below- cursor over the left will give you dosing information. It is possible to cause much harm by overdosing children. Please be careful-

http://www.motrin.com/

Also, Wilma, be sure and use the motrin with food, especially if you're going to use it for awhile, as one of the main side effects can be GI irritation.

that said, there have been times I've given my big DS14 who is 6 feet tall 185 pounds, as much as 600mg one time, and when things were at their worst, i did give him 800mg, one time.

perscription strength for motrin (adult size kids) = 800mg tablets. In our office, at times I prescribe this strength for very short windows, like when someone is recovering from a procedure where there is major inflammatory pain involved. the actual rx says take 1-2 tablets every 8 hours for severe pain for a day or two. i don't obviously recommend this high dosage very often, its very specific. but i was not afraid to try it with DS once or twice - and it did help alot when things were at their worst. i decided he qualified for severe pain, it was just his own kind of pain.

fortunately things have not gotten that bad for some time, especially since doing ivig in november his tics are better and better and better. but i do use herbal anti=inflammatories when it seems he needs them for a few days, they just feel safer in general.

perscription strength for motrin (adult size kids) = 800mg tablets.

Yes, I am 120 pounds and have been told I can take 800mg (4 x 200mg advils/motrins/ibuprofens) at a time. I do this 3-6 times a month (for cramps, or migraines)...not every day.