ACN Latitudes Forums

Scared of failure with antibiotic

My daughter has just started taking antibiotics(Cefprozil)4 days ago for the treatment of Pandas.He has given her a 30 day treatment. This has all been so recent of a diagnosis and I have appreciated this forum and the info I have read to educate myself.Im scared and cry so much praying for my little girl to return.I never heard of Pandas before and Im still in shock by how our life and my daughters reality changed over night,

I would like to ask others how long did it take for the anxiety to diminish and intrusive thoughts when antibiotics were started? Is 4 days expecting results too soon? Ive noticed a slight change but I question weather its my wishful thinking.Please let me know your results and how long it took for the antibiotics to get rid of tics or ocd? I am also giving her Ibuprofen.

Hi, I have PANDAS and change was so gradual for me that I didn't notice anxiety/OCD really diminishing until after I finished my first month of antibiotics. After it was done and I was off for about a week I noticed things come back that I hadn't realized had disappeared over the month while taking the antibiotics. After that it took about nine months for me to get the right combo of antibiotics to completely get rid of the OCD but things steadily improved over that time.

I think if it's the right antibiotic (which you won't know right off the bat), the timeline varies for each child. For mine, I would say I noticed some type of improvement in between the first 3-5 days of antibiotics. But I say "some improvement". It's not like he came back to me as fast as he left. Journal and/or chart progress so you can be objective, look back and see if there really is progress. Here's a charting system many have liked

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6685&hl=

If you have done so already, test eveyone else in the house for strep if that was the trigger for your daughter.

There is an antibiotic section with your question in the PANDAS FAQ as well http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6266

Edited by Vickie

My son is just finishing a 30 Rx of Azithromycin. During the first 5 days, his symptoms got a lot worse. He often had periods where he would sit alone in a room, squatting in a ball on the floor for up to 3 hours. Nothing we did could snap him out of the episode. It was so hard to see. After that we saw a slow and somewhat steady improvement. However, it was sometimes difficult to see that improvement until we looked back in time, as it was masked within such a jagged recovery with good hours and bad hours, and then good days and bad days. It was helpful for us to keep a journal to remind ourselves that we were seeing improvement along the way, no matter how small. The past week he has been doing much better and the periods when he has difficulties are usually fairly short lived. He still has a difficult time with anxiety/OCD at bed time and sometimes he will feel sad throughout the day. At this point I'm not sure if he could get back to 100% with antibiotics alone, but we're hoping. We're also trying to figure out his diet and probiotic supplement along the way, so I'm sure that's messing with his symptoms as well.

-Vicky

Edited by VickyLH

4 days isn't too soon to see improvement, and you will probably keep seeing steady improvement, but slow. Again, journaling really helps to give you perspective when progress seems slow. Whatever you do, don't stop abx after the 30 days...if your doc isn't a true PANDAS doc, you might look into finding one, b/c treatment will likely take a lot longer than a month, (although you might get back to a new normal in a month, so stay hopeful). Stay strong, keep asking your questions, and take all the support from this forum - it has been a lifeline for me!

When we were in crisis mode after our ds's 1st "exorcist syndrome" exacerbation, folks who really knew their stuff (like Diana P) advised us that it would take at least 10 days on average for us to see improvement after starting treatment-dose abx. That's pretty closely correlated with our experience. Waiting sucks... but hang in there. The right abx make a huge difference for many, many kids on here!

definitely get everyone in the house throat cultured to check for strep carriers.

For us...it took about 14 days of full-strength Azithromycin (the 4th antibiotic we tried) to get a real turn a round in symptoms. After the first 5 days we hadn't noticed much of a change, except our dd was yelling at us a bit less. So, it often does take time!

In terms of the first 3 antibiotics we tried, Augmentin (10 days) helped but we relapsed when put on Amoxcillin. 10 days of Ceftiofur (perhaps similar to Cefprozil?) seemed about as effective as Amoxcillin (for us). But, I think every child is different. Full-strength Augmentin and full-strength Azithromycin seem to be 2 of the most clinically effective/popular antibiotics for PANDAS kids.

Edited by EAMom