ACN Latitudes Forums

Has Anyone Ever Heard of Only Having Mycoplasma Pneumonia

I'd really like to hear others input on this. :)

We first treated my son for Lyme based on his symptoms, even though his first 2 tests were negative (ELISA and WesternBlot by LabCorp).

He didn't make a lot of progress so we looked into PANDAS. At that time his IGENEX came back, CDC negative but suspicious.

We continued to treat with little improvement. Several months later we found out he has mycoplasma pneumonia. Very high titers both IGG and IGM. Since starting treatment for myco p he has made drastic improvements.

He still has off days but by far better than before.

I have read that a lot of things can cross-react with Band 31. I called IGENEX labs to see if myco p could also possibly cause a false positive and was told yes, it could. I was advised to wait until his myco p titers dropped back into normal range, and once he's off abx for 30 days to retest through Igenex.

I am now wondering if it is possible that mycoplasma pneumonia is his only issue, or is it more likely that something else is still lurking in the background?

Thank you for your thoughts or opinions!

We first treated my son for Lyme based on his symptoms, even though his first 2 tests were negative (ELISA and WesternBlot by LabCorp).

He didn't make a lot of progress so we looked into PANDAS. At that time his IGENEX came back, CDC negative but suspicious.

We continued to treat with little improvement. Several months later we found out he has mycoplasma pneumonia. Very high titers both IGG and IGM. Since starting treatment for myco p he has made drastic improvements.

I have read that a lot of things can cross-react with Band 31. I called IGENEX labs to see if myco p could also possibly cause a false positive and was told yes, it could. I was advised to wait until his myco p titers dropped back into normal range, and once he's off abx for 30 days to retest through Igenex.

I am now wondering if it is possible that mycoplasma pneumonia is his only issue, or is it more likely that something else is still lurking in the background?

I'm not sure anyone can answer your question and be 100% sure but sounds like you are on a better track than before.

BTW - what are (were) your son's prominent symptoms? I ask as my son has a lot of symptoms similar to many on the PANDAS and Lyme forum but still has some that do not correlate with others. He has been diagnosed with PANDAS, Lyme, Bartonella; Babesia is suspected but I'm not beyond questioning the results. Regarding myco p my son only had high results for IGG (1.35; ref. range < 0.9) suggesting he's been exposed but nothing else. I do not see a test for the IGM.....I'll have to bring it up with our doctor.

Thanks for posting. Gives me more to think about.

bill

I'm not sure anyone can answer your question and be 100% sure but sounds like you are on a better track than before.

BTW - what are (were) your son's prominent symptoms? I ask as my son has a lot of symptoms similar to many on the PANDAS and Lyme forum but still has some that do not correlate with others. He has been diagnosed with PANDAS, Lyme, Bartonella; Babesia is suspected but I'm not beyond questioning the results. Regarding myco p my son only had high results for IGG (1.35; ref. range < 0.9) suggesting he's been exposed but nothing else. I do not see a test for the IGM.....I'll have to bring it up with our doctor.

Thanks for posting. Gives me more to think about.

bill

I should have worded my post better! I know that no one can tell me if there is anything else going on, I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone only having mycoplasma pneumonia.

I'm sorry to hear your son is sick as well. My Dr explained that sometimes an elevated IGG level can indicate a chronic infection.

My son's initial symptoms were extremely high anxiety, headaches, eye pain, vision changes, change in personality, twitches and tics, frequent urination or feeling as if he always had to go, bladder infection type pain, fatigue, OCD behavior, disruptive sleep patterns, and dilated pupils.

His only remaining symptoms now are the tics and twitches which aren't there every day anymore and he occasionally has headaches and dilated pupils. Cranial sacral massage helps a great deal with that.

He has flares every 6 weeks which bring out some of his old symptoms for 5 days and then they go away again. He has come a long way, but when they flares come, it reminds me we still have a long way to go.

I've been told we will probably have to treat this for at least six, 6 week cycles. We have had his titers checked again and his IGM levels have dropped some but his IGG levels are still the same. We go back in 2 weeks to have them checked again. Our Dr said it takes a long time to get IGG to drop.

Sorry for the long answer, hopefully it will help.

Thanks for your response.

I'm curious how you are treating the myco p? Is his IgM still elevated?

He is on Doxycycline. He is young for it, but he's allergic to zithromax.

Yes, his IgM was still elevated at his last test. We had the first test done in September and the second one done in December.

Great to hear of the drastic improvement! Hopefully, this is your answer. Thanks!

Thank you for your responses! If it wasn't for this board, I'm not sure we'd have an answer yet. After reading everything that you all have shared, I took him to our GP and asked for the test back in September when I knew we were missing something. Sadly, even though we had taken him to tons of Dr's, no one tested him for it prior to then. I'm thankful to all of you for sharing what you have learned along the way. I hope I can pay it forward.