ACN Latitudes Forums

This is for Worried Dad if he sees this.

lismom

My son who is 13 is still struggling some. We're stuck at like 60%. I have never tried the high dose aug xr. I am also waiting for Igenex results. I was wondering whether you tried zithromax, and if so how much and for how long. After almost 2 years its doing nothing now. Condidering switching. Is your sons stomach tolerating it? Did your son have fatigue, joint pain and any tics?

I you see this, I am to weary to read old posts, thanks.

dont know if this helps...but my ds did/does better with zith at 500mg he is 80lbs..250 did nothing..if it did, it may have been so slow i wasn't able to correlate it at the time..

w/ aug xr i have to have ds on diflucan to avoid joint pain...

i think as we recently added it back we may still be having other yeast issue rearrise or its a herx...idk

Hi, lismom:

We "sort of" did zithromax a few times, but not for any length of time. Did 14 days a couple of times early on (before Dr. K asked us to switch to augmentin), then did the standard 5-day Z packs a couple more. Honestly, I don't think we did it for long enough to gauge its effectiveness for our ds. I know zith worked very well for Buster/EAMom's dd and Diana P's ds.

Our son definitely did have terrible fatigue, joint pain, and tics. In the early days, these were his main symptoms: he did not have any OCD that we (or the docs) noticed, but was originally diagnosed with ARF/SC rather than PANDAS.

Don't want to oversell the augmentin XR - it doesn't work for everybody - but it has been amazing for our son. He has not had any stomach issues at all, but of course we've loaded up on probiotics to try to avoid GI problems. Since we went on the "Saving Sammy" dose in Oct 2009, he's made steady progress with no real bumps or backslides (knock on wood).

Good luck to you and your ds. You'll find the right treatment!