ACN Latitudes Forums

Azithromycin vs. Biaxin

I just found out from my insurance company (Health America) that my son's azithromycin prescription was denied. They have approved augmentin xr, biaxin, omnicef, and clindamycin in the past with no question. My son has had great improvement in his overall health on antibiotics and antibiotics have gotten rid of strep A and mycoplasma, but none of the antibiotics he has tried have helped with his OCD. Do you think it would be worth it to try azithromycin for a while, even if we have to pay for it ourselves?

Also, was wondering if this denial of azithromycin is any indication of possible denial of IVIG or plasmapheresis? Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thank you.

My son has done really well with biaxin and augmentin. He was given azith prophylactically and did some back sliding. However, he was only taking azith twice a week. The others was high dose for treatment.

Maybe there is something w/ insurance companies and azith. I could only get 8 250mg pills at a time for azith. Currently, I have 30 days supply of augmentin. That's 60 500mg pills. Go figure.

My son has done really well with biaxin and augmentin. He was given azith prophylactically and did some back sliding. However, he was only taking azith twice a week. The others was high dose for treatment.

Maybe there is something w/ insurance companies and azith. I could only get 8 250mg pills at a time for azith. Currently, I have 30 days supply of augmentin. That's 60 500mg pills. Go figure.

I can only get 8 250 mg. pills per too and I can't understand why. Yet they have approved other abxs that were more expensive. I am really disappointed because so many on this forum seem to have done so well on azithromax.