ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin or Ceftin

Hello,

My PANDAS 4 year old has been on Amoxicillan for a few months. Although it has helped her, it was not a total success. A few days ago, she came down with a fever, which turned out to be strep. Since she got a strep infection while on Amoxicillan, we know that the Amox just wasn't really cutting it. Our pediatrician, who has a good deal of experience with PANDAS, wants to put her on Augmentin, but our DAN doctor is concerned about her gut health, and has seen many kids have serious regressions on Augmentin due to the disruption in gut flora. He suggested Ceftin (Cefuroxime) which he thought would do a good job without as much negative impact on the gut flora. Since gut flora has been a major problem for our daughter, I do think this is worthy of consideration.

Our DAN doctor said that we could start with the Augmentin, but if she developed diarrhea, we should switch to Ceftin. We started Augmentin last night, and this morning she had diarrhea. I'm concerned about sticking with the Augmentin since I know that poor gut flora conditions can actually worsen autoimmune issues, like PANDAS. Have any of you had success with Ceftin instead of Augmentin?

Thanks!

Paula

Hello, Paula

Welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents about gut flora, which would be a problem with any antibiotic that you use, and like you said, probably for most kids with immune issues anyway.

What are you using as probiotics?

My suggestion is that you use a foundational probiotic strain called S Boulardii, which doesn't get killed off by antibiotics and can kind of "hold the space" for other good bacteria to recolonize by keeping the lactofermentation process going. Then you can rotate in other good lacto/bifido (strep-free) probiotics, at different times than the antibiotics. Depending on GI testing you can also use prebiotics or gi immune supports, like arabinogalactins or beta glucans.

But i can't answer the amox vs ceftin question because my son never used either one, he went straight to the azithromycin.

Hope that helped in some way. Good luck with your child, you'll find lots of info and answers here on the forum.

amy

We have been using VSL, Super Pro Bio, and just mixing in a few other ones when we can fit them in. We tried S. Boulardii a few times, and always had negative behavior reactions. I think it may be because she seems to react to yeast in any form. It's a good idea, though, maybe we should try it again. Our DAN doctor also suggested Earth Dragon. Have you heard of this? It's actually a ground up worm product that is supposed to help regulate the immune system. We have been considering TSO, which is another worm therapy that has bee highly effective, but very expensive. If you know or have any experience with these, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Paula

Hello, Paula

Welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents about gut flora, which would be a problem with any antibiotic that you use, and like you said, probably for most kids with immune issues anyway.

What are you using as probiotics?

My suggestion is that you use a foundational probiotic strain called S Boulardii, which doesn't get killed off by antibiotics and can kind of "hold the space" for other good bacteria to recolonize by keeping the lactofermentation process going. Then you can rotate in other good lacto/bifido (strep-free) probiotics, at different times than the antibiotics. Depending on GI testing you can also use prebiotics or gi immune supports, like arabinogalactins or beta glucans.

But i can't answer the amox vs ceftin question because my son never used either one, he went straight to the azithromycin.

Hope that helped in some way. Good luck with your child, you'll find lots of info and answers here on the forum.

amy

I asked an allergist/immunologist if there was such a thing as a narrow spectrum cephalosporin. He said no. I took that to mean that all cephalosporins will have a negative impact on gut flora.

Last year, my non-PANDAS daughter took ceftin for a positive strep test, and a sinus infection. Her pediatrician told us it was a heavy-duty antibiotic, but he prescribed it because he felt it would also be good for her sinuses. He also said it was nasty tasting...my daughter agreed with that, but was nine at the time, so didn't give us too much of a hard time with it.

My pediatrician likes the cephalosporins class of antibiotics...but he usually prescribes omnicef or duricef.

My PANDAS daughter currently takes 150mg daily of omnicef as a prophylaxis.