ACN Latitudes Forums

Whey protein isolate...?

My local grocery store went glutenfree about the same time I did, haha. It was amazingly convenient & completely coincidental. We have a pretty nice sized organic/vegetarian/glutenfree/otherkindsofhealthnutty section, & everywhere else in the store gluten-free items are labeled with a special little tag.

Well, the 10 for $10 special on Larabars finally ended ('twas a sad day...) & I was scoping the natural section for a new granola type bar thing. Soyjoys were 7 cents a piece, so I got some of those, but I also grabbed two "Think Thin" bars that were a dollar & not only had the gluten-free tag but had "GLUTEN FREE!" right on the package. But when I get home & go to read the nutrition facts while trying to put a lunch together, I saw that "Whey protein isolate" is the third ingredient. Is that okay...?

Whaaat? I am so off!!! I've been avoiding whey this whole time! Wow. Well, I feel totally stupid now. Awesome. Hahaha. Thank you though!

Get off soy and onto as much coconut as you can find. Soy protein isolate is not good. They've found hexane in it. No small amount is good for people with issues like this.

Do think about getting back on meat if you can. Grass-fed.

I will second that soy as a protein source is not going to be the best for most people. I'm a vegan who keeps the soy consumption relatively low, so, it can be done. Not necessarily easy, and there, not sure where you're priority needs to be. It is possible to work so hard on diet that the effort involved becomes more than the result is worth, only you can make the call on that. For me, I use a small amount of hemp protein supplement and eat a large amounts of nuts/seeds. Of course, eggs can be a protein source as well, if you're not allergic or otherwise opposed (don't remember if you do eggs or not).