ACN Latitudes Forums

How long does it take Bicillin Injection to work

Dedee

My daughter got her first bicillin injection on Friday. We haven't seen any results yet. She still had several rages this week-end, one lasted 40 minutes. She absolutely won't take any medicine by mouth. We have tried everything, mixing it in any and everything. When we tried to force it, she ran around the house screaming like we had put acid on her or something. It's the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered. My son has PANDAS, but I can at least treat him because he will take antibiotics and supplements. But my daughter is impossible. She has always had "issues" with medicine, but it has gotten so much worse with this flare that it is impossible to get anything in by mouth. Hence, the bicillin injection that we still haven't seen results from yet. Anyone got any personal experience?

One worn out desperate mother - Dedee

Hi Dedee,

I would think an injection would get to the infection faster than oral Meds, however, with pandas children we are not just treating an infection we are treating inflammation and also trying to prevent recurren infections. Wow, think that's a run on sentence. In any event even with oral Meds it takes time to see results. I don't think we can expect to see huge results with just one dose. The longer shes been without Meds longer will take to get well. I see some worsening in my older son, some people say it could be herxing. If the infection getting treated u may see worsening before healing.

Hang in there

Yep, I think we actually saw worse behavior and rages for a couple of days. Yesterday was a regular day, not good, just regular, definitely not better yet. I read somewhere that it could take up to two weeks to see results. I thought I would cry. I don't know how much more my poor family can take. I am praying it isn't that long for you or for us.

Dedee

I didn't really realize that Bicillin injections were an option for "treating" PANDAS. I just figured it would be as effective as penicillin because it is just an injectable version of penicillin.

I can understand using it as a prophylaxis, but if there is an active infection suspected, I don't know how effective it is going to be.

I'm sure you've seen it, but I'll re-post it anyway:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/169459644.html

I didn't really realize that Bicillin injections were an option for "treating" PANDAS. I just figured it would be as effective as penicillin because it is just an injectable version of penicillin.

I can understand using it as a prophylaxis, but if there is an active infection suspected, I don't know how effective it is going to be.

I'm sure you've seen it, but I'll re-post it anyway:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/169459644.html

Believe me, if I could get zithromax down her throat I would. In fact we spent about 30 minutes attempting to do just that. We have begged, bribed, pleaded, demanded, disguised it, and tried to force it and nothing that resembles medicine or supplements will enter that childs body. She has a very distorted sense of medication and a true fear of swallowing it. So for now, bicillin injections is all we have. I can only pray that it will work. Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate any input and personal experience.

Dedee

• 2 years later...

Hello. Our son, age 6, has been doing so well on zithromycin. We recently changed doctors because we were driving almost 4 hours for a while until we found out a local pediatrician is DAN certified and has a lot of experience with PANDAS. We continued the zithromycin for a while and now he has recommended the Bicillin monthly injectable. Our son has had his first dose and is due for his second one next week. We saw some regression the first few days which has me so worried but they said it was not unusual to see some regression before things got better again. Now it has been about 3 weeks and he is doing better but has at least a few OCD "moments" a day still. I know that is not a lot by any means but when I compare it to how there were absolutely NO signs of OCD in him at all, not even one little bit for all those weeks/months when he was on the zithromycin, I am not sure what to think. I am happy that he is still doing so much better than he was when we initially sought treatment for PANDAS but I don't know why the zithromycin seemed to work better. By the way, his titers have dropped from 700 to 500 since last year, but have remained at 500 for the last several months whenever he has been tested. I guess the zithromycin did not lower the titers much although it drastically improved symptoms. I am wondering if the Bicillin will lower the titers significantly but the trade off is, it doesn't work as well. I wish I knew the reason why some meds work better for some kids and others work better for other kids...anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
Maria

DS, had 26 bicillin shots over 26 weeks back in 2009 and I don't think that they worked for him very well. He was taking oral medications as well at that time. I just remember that they were horribly painful (he was getting an adult dose) and after he was crying so much from the pain--we just said No More. I know that this is not really helpful, but it was our experience.