ACN Latitudes Forums

Issue with teacher - WWYD

I haven't had a chance to read through all the replies, but honestly, if my child were happy in school and not being ridiculed, chastised or punished (privately or in front of the class) for not doing work, then I would leave it be. Then, on the roof of your mouth with your tongue, write this: "Mrs. Teacher....all the worksheets that you have given my son, that you have not even bothered to follow up on, are really just busy work, and in the whole scheme of things, in 2nd grade, just don't #@$!*& matter"---and then just walk away with a smile, knowing that your son is happy.

Then, if you really get a wild hare up your booty, you can address the 504, and make a list of specific accommodations that are required. This might mean getting private testing to be able to have them documented, etc....depending on your school system. I might also meet with the principal, just to have it on record, and you could bring along a letter that you address all of this in, just so if it comes down to it, in the end, and they try to say that you are the one to blame, you have documentation.

It just stinks to have to worry about that. We are homeschooling, but I don't know how long that will last, but I shudder to think about what will happen if dd7 had to go to school.....been there, done that with another child with issues, and it's not fun. And I understand it from both sides as I used to teach middle school.....

You REALLY cracked me up! LOVE IT!

I have all the respect in the world for his school and teachers. I reckognize the good points this teacher has. She's doing something right if he loves going to school. And honestly, I don't know how any of you do homeschooling! Hats off to every one of you who do! Just the 8 snow days we have had so far have had me pulling my hair out!

I think I will wait until late tonight or even tomorrow before I even email. If I'd emailed her a couple hours ago, while doing the homework battle, it wouldn't have come out nicely. I am a social worker by trade and tend to be very much a people pleaser and able to see both sides. I dont' like conflict - I like to solve it. But when I get really angry, it gets ugly! And I realize my anger is probably not fully warranted. I just need to get her to open up to me honestly - OR just get through the dang year!

Tantrums --

There are a couple of papers I give my DS's teaching team every year with regard to in-class work and homework; he, too, is very good academically, but because of his OCD behaviors, it just tends to take him longer than a "normal" kid with his level of intelligence, especially during exacerbation.

Here's a link to a paper by Dr. Fred Penzel called "What the Heck is Obsessive Slowness?!" It is an awesome, concise piece!

What the Heck is Obsessive Slowness

There's another article that appeared in a recent OCDF Newsletter that I've copied and circulated, also; I can't find a link, but if you'd like a copy, you can PM me with an email address, and I'll gladly forward it. It's called "Obsessive Homework."

I do think a meeting is in order, if for no other reason than to clear up the chain of communication between the teacher and you. I would "warm up the room" a little though, definitely, by stroking her a little right at the top of the meeting, telling her how much your DS likes her and how you credit both the first grade teacher and her with helping him achieve his academic success thus far. There are just a few areas that you need her help on, etc. . . . . "more flies with honey" sort of approach. ;)

So I took the passive, do nothing approach for a couple of days. We didn't do any of the sent home work yet because it's been hard enough to get homework done. I think they are trying to make up for all the snow days because there has generally been more than usual.

I just got an email from the teacher asking me to please do some timed reading thing with him - that he hasn't been bringing it back and forth and hasn't had it in three days. I have NEVER seen this and have no idea what she is talking about. I went through his assignment book again last night to double check things and there is no mention of it. He is smart enough not to write it in there if he doesn't want to do it. But I also think asking kids to write their own assignments due in a day runner type book is ridiculous!

Time to contact her and I think ask for a meeting because this all needs to be addressed. Since there are NO provisions for homework or missed classwork in the 504 I think it needs to be.

But I also think asking kids to write their own assignments due in a day runner type book is ridiculous!

Time to contact her and I think ask for a meeting because this all needs to be addressed. Since there are NO provisions for homework or missed classwork in the 504 I think it needs to be.

He's in second grade, right? I agree . . . 2nd graders being held solely responsible for writing down their own homework assignments is bogus! Our DS wasn't required to utilize an assignment book until 4th grade, and even then, 4th grade was considered a "training grade" for that undertaking, so the kids had a specific time carved out every day specifically for writing the assignments down, and the teacher made the rounds, making sure the kids got what they needed noted.

And yes, definitely get those provisions into the 504! In the end, you don't need MORE work, you need less, so sending home incomplete classwork to get added to homework is ludicrous for our kids. Our 504 and IEP language in this regard reads as follows: "Modify assignments for length, not content." So our DS's in-class work, quizzes, tests and homework are "sorted for the wheat from the chaff" and made shorter as a result. If he can demonstrate in 3 math problems that he understands the concepts, he's not required to do 6 just because the homework assignments are designed to "drill" kids in that one concept over and over again, for instance.

I just got home from work - late night. And surprise!!! He didn't bring home this mystery reading assignment! He also told me he can't have recess because he isn't bringing it in. If she took the time to email me and ask me to do it, y ou'd think she'd have the common sense to make sure he put it in his book bag!

UGH! Need to chill out before I answer her. I am going to CC the counselor and also ask for the meeting.