ACN Latitudes Forums

Need Help ASAP! 7 yr. old....crown is loose, hurts...she's fr

I first am so sorry to be a posting freak the past few days....I've finally had the time...

But I need help----my dd7 has horrible teeth. She's had numerous fillings so far, and had a silver cap on one of her molars about 2 years ago. Tonight I insisted on flossing her teeth, which only happens (I shudder to admit) about every couple months, because she freaks out any time someone messes in her mouth. She has white hard buildup on the edges of her teeth...likely from plaque or tartar hardening... Losing teeth involves a week of building anxiety, until the day it hangs by a thread, at which time she is totally unreasonable and has freak-outs all day long, until I finally lose it with her, hold her down while she shakes violently, and pull it.

Anyhow, when I mentioned flossing, she started her freak-out, screaming and crying, shaking, running to another room and not letting anyone near. I tried to reason with her, and after about 30 minutes, she finally said it might hurt. We hashed at that for a bit, then she said something about a loose tooth, and she didn't want me to pull it. I reminded her that she just lost a wiggly tooth, and no others are ready yet. She told me the silver tooth is loose and hurts when she eats on that side. I asked how loose, and she wouldn't show me. Another 15 minutes of horror, and finally I freaked out on her, and said let me see it NOW!!! or we will go to the dentist first thing in the morning. Well, that worked like a charm.....NOT!!! But I did finally have her wiggle it, and I finally got my hand in there, and the tooth is loose. She just turned 7, and this is the lower molar, the second one back. Not due to come out till she's like 12.

So my concern....is this possibly and underlying source of infection???? And if so, what do I need to do to protect her from any bacteria from this harming her or making her steady, not-improving pandas even worse???? She is on 100 mg zithromax (weighs 45 pounds)--not sure what would be good for oral stuff. I am probably jumping the gun, or even feeling like maybe we found a "source" of infection---why would that molar with the silver cap be wiggly?

Anyone got any info. on dental stuff?? I am going to call in the a.m. but want to be prepared.....sigh. Oh, big sigh. I better eat my Wheaties in the morning...I can tell it's going to be a long one. Poor sweet girl.

So- lots of parents see an increase in pandas symptoms with dental issues. I see issues arise with the loss of baby teeth in my kids.

Yes, this sucks. But you can do some things to help.

First, get really proactive with the dentist - I think it is wise to go every 3 mos for cleaning and check - get at problems when they are small if possible. Up the abx for dental visits , and/or consider adding a second abx for the few days surrounding. Talk about this disorder with the dentist, it is related to rheumatic heart dis (which they know about)- mine was extremely concerned/ interested.

And, my dd is 40lbs and on 200mg zith daily - can you get a higher dose?

I hate to beat a dead horse but...I want to encourage you to re-visit the lyme thing. Lyme is notorious for causing dental problems. While it's possible that your daughter's dental issues have nothing to do with lyme, its worth really considering. Maybe do a little research on dental problems in lyme patients. I never realized how many ways lyme impacts the body. I remember at one point before being diagnosed, my daughter's gums were bleeding. We've always taken good care of her teeth and at the time she was only 6 years old. A little young for peridontal disease. Anyway, I just thought I would put this out there again. I understand you probably are burnt out on the lyme thing and feel you have ruled it out, but if lyme is involved in your daughter's illness it may really make the difference for her in the long run.

I was

I first am so sorry to be a posting freak the past few days....I've finally had the time...

But I need help----my dd7 has horrible teeth. She's had numerous fillings so far, and had a silver cap on one of her molars about 2 years ago. Tonight I insisted on flossing her teeth, which only happens (I shudder to admit) about every couple months, because she freaks out any time someone messes in her mouth. She has white hard buildup on the edges of her teeth...likely from plaque or tartar hardening... Losing teeth involves a week of building anxiety, until the day it hangs by a thread, at which time she is totally unreasonable and has freak-outs all day long, until I finally lose it with her, hold her down while she shakes violently, and pull it.

Anyhow, when I mentioned flossing, she started her freak-out, screaming and crying, shaking, running to another room and not letting anyone near. I tried to reason with her, and after about 30 minutes, she finally said it might hurt. We hashed at that for a bit, then she said something about a loose tooth, and she didn't want me to pull it. I reminded her that she just lost a wiggly tooth, and no others are ready yet. She told me the silver tooth is loose and hurts when she eats on that side. I asked how loose, and she wouldn't show me. Another 15 minutes of horror, and finally I freaked out on her, and said let me see it NOW!!! or we will go to the dentist first thing in the morning. Well, that worked like a charm.....NOT!!! But I did finally have her wiggle it, and I finally got my hand in there, and the tooth is loose. She just turned 7, and this is the lower molar, the second one back. Not due to come out till she's like 12.

So my concern....is this possibly and underlying source of infection???? And if so, what do I need to do to protect her from any bacteria from this harming her or making her steady, not-improving pandas even worse???? She is on 100 mg zithromax (weighs 45 pounds)--not sure what would be good for oral stuff. I am probably jumping the gun, or even feeling like maybe we found a "source" of infection---why would that molar with the silver cap be wiggly?

Anyone got any info. on dental stuff?? I am going to call in the a.m. but want to be prepared.....sigh. Oh, big sigh. I better eat my Wheaties in the morning...I can tell it's going to be a long one. Poor sweet girl.

Edited by momofgirls

Yes, I would also be concerned about why your dd's teeth are so bad in the first place? Did your dentist have any insight on that? I know some people are anti-fluoride, but that does seemt to help (we use ACT rinse, not tablets). Also have you looked into xylitol (either toothpaste, rinse, gum...)?

And I also agree about uppping the Azith. dose.

PS...When I had a loose crown, there was a bad smell. So, I do agree that could be a source of infection.

Thanks for the input. You know, I had horrible teeth as a child too. So I doubt it's Lyme. Maybe just hereditary. But my concern is why the tooth has decayed??? under the cap(is it a crown? it's a silver cap over the tooth...)? I know she eats too much sugar, and carbs. I just was googling and saw something about decay being caused by candida albicans? Is that yeast?? Really think that could be an issue for her.

I am just dreading tomorrow....

Did she have a root canal prior to the crown being put on? If not, it could be the root finally started to die. Call the dentist this morning and they will fit you in today. Since it's a baby tooth, perhaps she'll lose it sooner than others since some trauma was already done to it.Or...maybe just the crown is loose and the tooth is fine. I've had a crown loose enough to fall off before. It would wiggle just like a loose tooth but the actual tooth under was intact and fine. They just had to recement it.