ACN Latitudes Forums

At urgent care - croup & fever

NVAmom

At urgent care with ds 12 -waiting on dr. Sore throat yesterday, fever last night. Woke up in middle of night and couldn't breathe. Went outside in cold air - breathing much improved. Now crying when he coughs because it hurts and temp is 101.5.

My question is: I read croup can be caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae. So is there anything specific I should ask about for treatment? His current pandas treatment is 500 mg Azithromycin and valtrex 1 gm ( due to recurrent canker sores) per day. Would myco p be a different treatment?

Thank you!

All 4 of my kids are very, very prone to croup---I have always been told it is VIRAL!!! Same exact symptoms...can't breath...cold helps, sometimes steam. Antibiotics will not help, it is viral. One time, my dd was having such a hard time breathing they did a steroid treatment via nebulizer.

At urgent care with ds 12 -waiting on dr. Sore throat yesterday, fever last night. Woke up in middle of night and couldn't breathe. Went outside in cold air - breathing much improved. Now crying when he coughs because it hurts and temp is 101.5.

My question is: I read croup can be caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae. So is there anything specific I should ask about for treatment? His current pandas treatment is 500 mg Azithromycin and valtrex 1 gm ( due to recurrent canker sores) per day. Would myco p be a different treatment?

Thank you!

Azith is generally good for mycop., though some folks do better with biaxin. I am wondering if it would be beneficial to have bloodwork done to check for mycoplasma in a week or so (I am not sure how long it takes for IgM to start showing changes). Maybe ask the doctor about that. If you have checked mycoplasma in the past, then you will have a baseline to work off of.

If it is viral, then the antibiotics will not help.

I always thought croup was a virus too. My son only had croup once and it was prior to PANDAS. He had no PANDAS or PITAND reaction. He was given 3 days of a steroid (no antibiotic) to reduce swelling. He still had swelling and a high pitch voice at the end of the script. It eventually did get better. My son actually had no cough at all when he was dx via xray with croup.

Edited by Vickie

some do better on biaxin for myco..though you can use zith..

i think valtrex is good if it is viral...maybe you could up that...though val does not treat all viruses..i don't think they know which ones it works on exactly or not...as it may help with others besides colds sores

jmo

Thanks everyone for your responses! We are home now. She gave a script for tamaflu (swab was negative but she said it's not very reliable), oral steroid and inhaled steroid. Hoping he does ok tonight. A little nerveous. His fever is 102.7 and he had ibuprofen 1.5 hours ago.

Did the doctor say he can take Ibuprofen with the steroid? If you didn't ask, don't give them together again until you can ask a nurse or doc. Technically, you're not suppose to give them together since it's harsh on the stomach.. You can always call those that released you and ask. Hope he feels better!

Thanks everyone for your responses! We are home now. She gave a script for tamaflu (swab was negative but she said it's not very reliable), oral steroid and inhaled steroid. Hoping he does ok tonight. A little nerveous. His fever is 102.7 and he had ibuprofen 1.5 hours ago.

Edited by Vickie