ACN Latitudes Forums

Pertussis booster? (Tdap)

What state do you live in? CA? Here is a map of exemptions per state http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

You could also get titers done for this. There's a chance your child is still immune.

Anybody have information on whether this is safe or not? I don't really want to do any immunization. School says he has to have the booster (anytime after 7th birthday, and i have checked- didn't have).

Anybody have information on whether this is safe or not? I don't really want to do any immunization. School says he has to have the booster (anytime after 7th birthday, and i have checked- didn't have).

Can you look up how they do it with the autism protocol? I think they separate DPT...I could totally be making that up, but it sort of rings a bell. Maybe that would be less stress on the immune system, to do one at a time? I've been meaning to look into it because I need a tetanus some point soon but don't want the combined one.

If you are in CA. (looks like you are) we are a 'personal exemption' state;

meaning, you can simply flip over the back of the yellow card, and sign that you have a personal belief about not gettng vaccinations right now.

They cannot ask you one question about it.

I am very surprised that in CA they would tell you that you 'have' to have anything, because in CA, you don't.

You simply sign a paper or the back of the immunization card that you are waiving them.

They can't say a word more to you about it, nor question you.

here is the summary...basically if you dont want to do it, you have to get a medical or personal belief waiver card to sign.

__

A new law requires California junior high and high school students to be immunized against pertussis (whooping cough) prior to entering school this fall.

It’s a tall order for parents, schools and healthcare providers, so the word from county health officials is: Act quickly to avoid the rush.

For the 2011-12 school year, all students entering 7th through 12th grades will need proof of a pertussis booster shot (called a Tdap) before starting school. This new requirement:

• Begins July 1

• Will be met by receiving one dose of Tdap vaccine on or after the child’s 7th birthday.

• Must be documented in the student's immunization records.

• Applies to both public and private schools.

• Affects all students unless the student has a medical or personal belief exemption.

The new law comes in response to a dramatic increase in whooping cough cases within California. In 2010, 10 infants died from whooping cough and 8,383 persons were sickened — the most in California since 1947.

I don't have experience with opting out yet since we haven't had the need for it but someone did tell me that if you are asked to sign anything, read it well. I guess in some dr offices, the sheet to sign says that you are not vaccinating and you know you are aware you are putting your child in harm's way. If it says that, write out that you choose not to vaccinate then sign after that or bring a print out of what you want to say ready for them to put in the file.

My son is 11 and had these titers checked.....he still has immunity to the illnesses covered in this vaccine and he has not had any shots in about 7 years. They always say you HAVE to do it because they want you to....but, the truth is...you don't.

I thought I read here in a medical paper (can't remember when) that vaccines should not be given within 6 months of ivig. You should be able to declare a medical exemption...right??

But then in 6 months, they'll expect her to get it. They recently changed the wording on AZ's personal exemption to make it a religious exemption- my hub was uncomfortable w/ claiming that, but even though we could get a medical exemption based on monthly IVIG, I wanted the more "permanent" religious exemption, just in case IVIG is ever discontinued. And, anyway, I firmly believe God means for me to not risk my child's health.

Thanks all. Just heard from doc who said he SHOULD get the vaccination. Says it would not be a problem with his status. Hmmmm....

On another note... I AM LOSING THE DOCTOR I JUST FOUND!!!!!! HE IS TAKING A POSITION AT STANFORD!!!

Someone else here sees Dr. M. at UCLA- who again? Well, now what? I told him I guess it just means I drive 4 hours north to SF, instead of 4 hours south to L.A. But, seeing as I just got him established with a pediatrician who is PANDAS believer, maybe just do everything locally!

At least get the titers checked. Why vaccinate if he still has immunity.

Thanks all. Just heard from doc who said he SHOULD get the vaccination. Says it would not be a problem with his status. Hmmmm....

On another note... I AM LOSING THE DOCTOR I JUST FOUND!!!!!! HE IS TAKING A POSITION AT STANFORD!!!

Someone else here sees Dr. M. at UCLA- who again? Well, now what? I told him I guess it just means I drive 4 hours north to SF, instead of 4 hours south to L.A. But, seeing as I just got him established with a pediatrician who is PANDAS believer, maybe just do everything locally!

Phasmid, I know of someone with PANDAS who had the DTAP in combination with another vaccine (Meningitis) and there was a severe exacerbation of symptoms. My own son had a dramatic worsening of PANDAS symptoms after getting two different vaccines (Chicken Pox and Hep A) a few years ago. Within a few weeks he was having spacing out episodes that would last up to five minutes at a time and there was an explosion of tics, OCD, and symptoms we had never seen before. I have not had much time to post these days, but I do feel an obligation to respond when I see posts regarding PANDAS and vaccines. I would do whatever I could to get an exemption. My son was 11 when he this life altering event happened and since then we have stopped getting vaccines for him forever. I have reached a point where I don't always trust the MD but instead rely on the GUT to guide me in medical decisions for my family.

Ellen

Geez...thanks phas for putting this post up..

:angry:i think ds10 and 3 will be requiring shots for next year....its feb and now i have to get the fight ready for this...i am still trying to get stuff caught up from last year for insurance.....

GD..*(^&)OE*IHOI$%^&()UTR :angry: T^$$^*&()__U&H :angry: GU&T%^$^T!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I am so mad and so tired!!!!!!!