ACN Latitudes Forums

Fish Oil

Guest Guest

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scottish Nessie,

Good point. I have read several times where parents have reported that it wasn't a supplement itself, but an additive, that their child didn't do well with. The salycilates and the oxylates are still really confusing to me.

Kim

Hi there, regarding the coment about "tics being from too much dopamine in the brain". We actually had my son's neurotransmitters tested and we found that he actually had abnormally LOW dopamine, seratonin, and epinephrine and super high norepinephrine, histamine and GABA. He ticced like crazy on fish oil and I believe it is because, as Daniel pointed out, that the fish oils contain choline and choline contraindicts histamine (makes the situation way worse). We have addressed his allergens, heavy metals, deficencies, yeast and his neurotransmitters. He isn't ticcing at all anymore and he was very severe before. I think tics can come from a myriad of things - finding each individual's puzzle pieces can be challenging but I don't think there is a one stop shop for everyone. Our solution to the Omega's was flax and borage.

Giselle

Dr Walsh on EFA's

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/walsh.htm#Co

Borage Oil is a good source of omega-6 oils. I think the widespread use of Primrose Oil results from widely publicized treatment successes with schizophrenia in England & the USA in the 1970's and 80's. I would choose the one with the highest arachidonic acid level. (Sep 28, 2003)

I once collaborated with Dr. Doug Bibus, a Minnesota fatty-acid expert, on a study of 87 schizophrenics. Bibus' lab provided reliable chemical analysis for about 60 fatty acids.

We reported the results at a national meeting of the Americal Oil Association (not petroleum) & plan to publish the results in a journal. We found that 75% of schizophrenics were somewhat elevated in omega-6 oils, and significantly depleted of omega-3 oils. However, the pyroluric schizophrenics comprised the other 25% and exhibited severe deficiency of arachidonic acid and other omega-6 oils.

We've had considerable success in using PUFA's (poly-unsaturated fatty acids) to treat persons with mental illness, but have found that omega-3 and omega-6 oils can cause clear worsening if given inappropriately. Pyrolurics need omega-6..... whereas most other patients need omega-3. There is a competition between o3 and o6 for zinc, B-6, and the delta 5,6 desaturases. The ideal would be to identify a person's biochemical individuality, with respect to PUFA's, then treat accordingly.

We've met several pyrolurics patients who reported a setback after omega-3 supplements. Most of them turned out to be pyroluric.

Kennedy-Kreiger Institute in Bethesda has a lab that performs a reliable PUFA assay. Direct Healthcare Access in the Chicago area has an excellent kryptopyrrole assay for determining presence or absence of pyroluria. (Oct 14, 2003)

If you look at the reaction cascades for omega-3 and omega-6 beginning with ALA and LA.... both cascades require B-6 and Zn, which may be in limited supply. If a person is overloaded in one of the omega's and depleted in the other.... supplementation with the omega already in excess will result in less B-6 and Zn availability and a worsening of the levels of the depleted omega.

About 60% of schizophrenics exhibit low omega-3 levels. About 20% of SZ patients (those with severe pyroluria) exhibit extremely low AA and DGLA levels and thrive on Primrose Oil or other forms of omega-6. The remaining 20% do not exhibit PUFA anomalies.

The low omega-6 patients are very different from other schizophrenics and the general population. Classic symptoms include: Extremely dry skin (remember that the oils are the waterproofing of the skin), raised nodules on the back of the upper arm, abnormal fat distribution, plus the symptoms of pyroluria itself.... These include severe mood swings, stress dyscontrol, sensitivity to light and loud noises, poor immune function, little or no dream recall, reading disorder in childhood, craving for spicy/salty foods, poor appetite in the AM, etc.

My preference is the RBC membrane assay for the PUFA's. (Oct 20, 2003)

Donate and help us reach others with this information!

Send this article to a friend

DISCLAIMER:

The information of this Website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of physicians or health health care practitioners. It is also not intended to diagnose or prescribe treatment for any illness or disorder. Anyone already undergoing physician-prescribed therapy should seek the advice of his or her doctor before reducing the dosage or stopping such treatment.

For questions or comments

about this site please E-mail us

• 2 months later...

Boy, I'm glad I ran into this topic. We are new to all of this. We have taken my 6yo son off of dairy and wheat/gluten. We've also started avoiding dyes, preservatives, MSG, etc. We give him a multi-vitamin and calcium and have just started looking into the supplements. Well, the only one we've started was fish oil. His behavior has changed significantly for the better and he is more vocal than he has ever been - but he still tics (a big hockering sound lately). So, we're taking him off the fish oil to see if what we've done so far has helped any. I'd hate to think all of this effort has had no effect - to think, the fish oil may be masking any benefit from the other interventions. Thanks for the lead anyway.

Once in a while we skip the fish oil and use olive oil for many reasons.

Something to think about and if interested to be looked into.

Andy,

I too am a fan of olive oil. Funny, right after your post, I came across this.

My bottle says.....may become cloudy if refrigerated. ERRRR.

Dr. Weil

olive oil

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA365370/

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA365372/

This is one that Mrs. Doubtfyre posted that she uses on the gluten/celiac bd.

http://www.carotino-usa.com/

Andy,

I too am a fan of olive oil. Funny, right after your post, I came across this.

My bottle says.....may become cloudy if refrigerated. ERRRR.

Dr. Weil

olive oil

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA365370/

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA365372/

This is one that Mrs. Doubtfyre posted that she uses on the gluten/celiac bd.

http://www.carotino-usa.com/

Wow, never figured that olive oil might not be olive oil. Glad that we buy the stuff that has the label, "International Olive Oil Council (IOOC)". Still will test to see if it is a true label. My wife just purchased a Paul Newman organic brand of Olive Oil. I will do the refrigerated test as well. Learn something knew everyday. Thanks Kim.