ACN Latitudes Forums

Is this a PANDAS symptom

I'm tying to type a list of what I see with my youngest ds for dr appt. tomorrow. He is so different from my oldest that I'm trying to piece through what is or isn't PANDAS. With my oldest others could see things- tics, obsessive thoughts that I couldn't see because to me they were just him.

So would you view these as possible trouble spots or just normal average kid...

* frequent crying (he is 9), tried therapy, tried ignoring- not feeding into it. Nothing has helped, but comes and goes.

* feels that others don't like him yet I've seen others gather around him at school events.

* feels like others are being unkind- I'll hear his brother ask an innocent question without attitude or rude tone and he is in tears insisting his brother is being mean.Very irrational response can't hear me tell him that his brother asked a simple question. Similar things have happened at school such as pushing down his closest friend because he insists he heard him say something and friend said he didn't say anything, Alex kept asking, friend said I didn't say anything, finally so upset he pushed him to the ground. Not a typical behavior for him.

Would you call these possible signs? Am I looking too hard or have I not looked hard enough these past several months?

I'm tying to type a list of what I see with my youngest ds for dr appt. tomorrow. He is so different from my oldest that I'm trying to piece through what is or isn't PANDAS. With my oldest others could see things- tics, obsessive thoughts that I couldn't see because to me they were just him.

So would you view these as possible trouble spots or just normal average kid...

* frequent crying (he is 9), tried therapy, tried ignoring- not feeding into it. Nothing has helped, but comes and goes.

* feels that others don't like him yet I've seen others gather around him at school events.

* feels like others are being unkind- I'll hear his brother ask an innocent question without attitude or rude tone and he is in tears insisting his brother is being mean.Very irrational response can't hear me tell him that his brother asked a simple question. Similar things have happened at school such as pushing down his closest friend because he insists he heard him say something and friend said he didn't say anything, Alex kept asking, friend said I didn't say anything, finally so upset he pushed him to the ground. Not a typical behavior for him.

Would you call these possible signs? Am I looking too hard or have I not looked hard enough these past several months?

[/q

My son has definitely had the self esteem issues but he also has tics, OCD and anxiety, but 5HTTP and SAMe, St Johns wart helped the woe is me attitude a lot.

i would consider all of those pandas symptoms. are these recent developments or things he has always done? either way, i'd consider them signs, but especially if they're new. i'd hazard a guess that's there could be more that you haven't correlated as symptoms.

Edited by smartyjones

My son has definitely had the self esteem issues but he also has tics, OCD and anxiety, but 5HTTP and SAMe, St Johns wart helped the woe is me attitude a lot.

interesting. my son had "sudden onset" that was unmistakably something was up. . . however there are some things that were previously signs. he had two incidents of severe cognitive inflexibilty. however he was young and we wrote it off as 2, 3 year old behavior. we used to laugh that he had this odd "put upon" attitude and why in the world did he have it. he was the younger of just two children and really had a nice life. he doesn't have it now that he's been treated. i now think it was a symptom, not a personality trait.

I'd list them for the appt. My dd11 used to be very confident & secure, but PANDAS changed all that. I also think their "overwhelmed" issues come out of working so hard and using up their resources to just get through each day, that they become completely overwhelmed when asked to do something simple, such as "put away your backpack" or "clear your dishes".

So ASO titer was negative, MycoP and AntiDnaseB not back yet. Dr. did not feel it is PANDAS and instead said depression. Family history on both sides. He is recommending CBT (tried already, therapist stunk) and St. John's wort and Bee Balm. Sent me to local herbal shop for recommendation on what to take. She recommended a tea that has both. Says drink 4x per day. I figured I'd do 3 for 8 year old. He hates it so don't think this is going to be a good match.

Anybody's kids take St. John's Wort? How do they take it and how much do they take?