ACN Latitudes Forums

Psoriasis & Strep

Last year I read an article about how psoriasis can be triggered by strep. I'm just curious of parents are seeing a correlation with their kids with PANDAS. Do you have a child with psoriasis and PANDAS? Do flares in psoriasis seem to coincide with exacerbations in PANDAS?

never heard of a direct relationship of strep and psoriasis, but I believe that psoriasis is really an autoimmune condition, but I don't think the dermatologists will admit to that. Kind of like parkinsons and MS have been found to be autoimmune in nature, but they don't treat it that way.

Last year I read an article about how psoriasis can be triggered by strep. I'm just curious of parents are seeing a correlation with their kids with PANDAS. Do you have a child with psoriasis and PANDAS? Do flares in psoriasis seem to coincide with exacerbations in PANDAS?

Well, I have a husband with psoriasis and a child with PANDAS and their "flares" seem to coincide. Does that count?

DH tested negative on the swab, but ASO is high at the time of flare. The dr. said he actually has blepharitis (sp?), which is an infection around the eyes from dried skin. Coincidentally, years ago, when PANDAS ds was maybe 8 or 9, he started with an eye-blinking tic which, at the time, was attributed to... blepharitis! Of couse back then we did not know about PANDAS, so we did not get a strep test!