ACN Latitudes Forums

Has anyone had a worsening of symptoms with a probiotic?

Guest pandas16

YEEESSSS!

When my son had vocal tics during his more recent major episode, the Florastor made things worse. Much worse. Other dry probiotics (such as Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG) did the same. My theory is that when the immune system is overactive, putting these billions of foreign cells into the gut, where much of the immune function is, stimulates a reaction. I don't think it has anything to do with competition between species, but the body's immune response to these new cells which the body's immune cells recognize as "invaders." My doc said stop all probiotic strains except for those that occur in the "live" kefir drinks.

Has the probiotic Florastor made things worse for anyone?

Edited by Phasmid

Guest pandas16

YEEESSSS!

When my son had vocal tics during his more recent major episode, the Florastor made things worse. Much worse. Other dry probiotics (such as Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG) did the same. My theory is that when the immune system is overactive, putting these billions of foreign cells into the gut, where much of the immune function is, stimulates a reaction. I don't think it has anything to do with competition between species, but the body's immune response to these new cells which the body's immune cells recognize as "invaders." My doc said stop all probiotic strains except for those that occur in the "live" kefir drinks.

Thank you so much for answering! I've noticed a flare up in my symptoms the last week. I couldn't imagine what it could of possibly been. The only thing I added was florastor! At least I know the culprit now. Can you elaborate more on kefir drinks and what you use instead? I have to have something because I take abx daily. You had no worsening with Kefir?

Has the probiotic Florastor made things worse for anyone?

Edited by pandas16

I found this from http://organizedwisdom.com/Florastor_Side_Effects

Research Notes on Florastor Side Effects

Florastor (Saccharomyces boulardii), a natural yeast-based probiotic supplement used to promote gastrointestinal health, has little or no major side effects. The side effects that are most commonly noted are constipation, increased thirst, and increased gas.1 Other more rare side effects occur mainly when administered through a central venous line. These side effects include the possibility of fungemia, the presence of fungi or yeasts in the blood.2 Some people who are sensitive to yeasts may have an allergic reaction using Florastor and should contact their physician if they experience difficulty breathing, hives, or chest pain.3

Could what you're seeing be related to yeast?

Has the probiotic Florastor made things worse for anyone? What can you use instead of a probiotic?

My son had trouble with florastor. We use twinlabs allerdophilus. It is very gentle but not very strong. He gets about 6 billiion units a day. I have been told this is adequate, though I know that many children on this forum require much larger concentrations. He also takes diflucan, so that helps too. I think the amount and type of probiotics is one of the widest variables among the kids on the forum.

My DD reacted badly to probiotics for years and it was not due to yeast. We tried many and they all activated her. Increased her mood dysregulation and hyperactivity. The only one we could use -- and she was on it for 12 years -- was Natren's Bifido Factor, which I believe may be for babies or very young children. A few months ago we tried Theralac and amazingly, she tolerated it well. So we made the switch.