ACN Latitudes Forums

Need advice

susie

I hope someone can give me some thoughts on our situation. My daughter had been on Augmentin 500gm twice daily for about the past 6 months (for PANDAS) up until 5 days ago. We determined Lyme about 2 months ago and added Zitromax and after she was stable on that, added tinidazole on the weekends. The LLMD wanted to stop the Augmentin when starting the Zithromax, but I kept it going so I would be a able to know whether any problems were related to stopping Augmentin, or starting Zithromax and tinidazole. I stopped the Augmentin this past Friday when it was time to start the weekend tinidazole, so it's been 5 days now that she has been off of it. It seems she's slipping backward now. The PANDAS doc wants to resume the Augmentin, but I'm worried about DDs tummy. Her stool culture grew candida for the first time ever and also had some inflammatory markers (Alpha anti-chymotrypsin) elevated for the first time.

She's on probiotics, oral Amphotericin and Sacro-B for the yeast.

I don't know what to do. I just read someones post saying that Dr. J had their child on Augmentin, Zitromax and a cyst buster. Are 3 antibiotics at one time needed to treat Lyme? I understand that they each cover a different form of the bug, but are most people doing all 3 at once?

Have many of you continued on multiple antibiotics even with positive candida? To top it off, our LLMD is out of town for all of February. I'm going to call the doctor covering for him, but he doesn't know my daughter at all.

This is SO stressful!

I sincerely appreciate any input. Thanks so much.

My kids were on Augmentin for PANDAS last summer. When more symptoms started to creep up b/f school year started, our neuro added Zithromax to the mix. It seemed to help. The plan was to remove the Augmentin soon after. Once we did, the kids slipped immediately, w/in a day for my DS and within a few days for my DD. So we added back in the Augmentin. Our immunologist, Dr.B said some kids need both but couldn't give a reason. A few weeks later (1 month b/f first IVIg) Dr. B added in steroid taper and yanked Zithromax. Big mistake. Major backslide--but was it adding steroids to the mix? We'll never know. Again put them back on Zith along w/ Augmentin. A few weeks later we saw major physical symptoms in kids from Lyme...major joint pain, electrical current feeling thru nerves from elbows to fingers, chest pain, etc. After having an LLMD review their Igenex results, it was apparent they had red flags for Lyme but immunologist didn't interpret that way. It's just different schools of thought which infuriated me but it is what it is and that's why this forum is invaluable bc we'd be stuck in this horrible cycle of not getting better without all these smart/determined parents. The LLMD now has them on Augmentin and Zith still, said NEVER steroids b/c it supresses the immune sys which is what Lyme does and makes things horrible, added Rifampin M-F in evening for their Bartonella (so that is antibiotic #3 in the mix) and also added Diflucan for yeast. They are on a few other supplements like a raw food multi vit., extra vit. C and D, Low Dose Naltrexone, Tagemet (helps acid and histamine control) and lots of probiotics. So yes, my kids are 3 antibiotics. Flagyl, the cystbuster, will be added in a few weeks.

We are on three types of abx. The flagyl (cyst buster) my dd's take only once a month and I take it once a week. We have them on zithromax and amoxicillian three days a week and I load them up on probiotics and caprylic acid (antifungal) the other days and they also take diflucan once a week and nystatin every day.

We don't test for candida at this time, I acually assume they would test positive. Just trying to keep it at bay until we treat the lyme.

Hang in there, I hope you get some other good advice!

Susan

My dd, PANDAS and now diagnosed with Lyme/Bartonella is on Azith, Augmentin, and now Minocycline, and Tindamax (week-ends only) She is also on Diflucan to prevent yeast. And a few other things..... So that is four antibiotics. As long as she has her probiotics and the Diflucan, she does okay, so far.

It's only been a week (tomorrow) on the Minocycline and Tindamax.

I hope someone can give me some thoughts on our situation. My daughter had been on Augmentin 500gm twice daily for about the past 6 months (for PANDAS) up until 5 days ago. We determined Lyme about 2 months ago and added Zitromax and after she was stable on that, added tinidazole on the weekends. The LLMD wanted to stop the Augmentin when starting the Zithromax, but I kept it going so I would be a able to know whether any problems were related to stopping Augmentin, or starting Zithromax and tinidazole. I stopped the Augmentin this past Friday when it was time to start the weekend tinidazole, so it's been 5 days now that she has been off of it. It seems she's slipping backward now. The PANDAS doc wants to resume the Augmentin, but I'm worried about DDs tummy. Her stool culture grew candida for the first time ever and also had some inflammatory markers (Alpha anti-chymotrypsin) elevated for the first time.

She's on probiotics, oral Amphotericin and Sacro-B for the yeast.

I don't know what to do. I just read someones post saying that Dr. J had their child on Augmentin, Zitromax and a cyst buster. Are 3 antibiotics at one time needed to treat Lyme? I understand that they each cover a different form of the bug, but are most people doing all 3 at once?

Have many of you continued on multiple antibiotics even with positive candida? To top it off, our LLMD is out of town for all of February. I'm going to call the doctor covering for him, but he doesn't know my daughter at all.

This is SO stressful!

I sincerely appreciate any input. Thanks so much.

3 ABX (+) seems to be a norm around here. He has never been tested for candida. A few times he's had loose bowels but no more than the rest of us.

My son currently:

Minocycline 50mg X 1 daily

Azithromycin 250mg X 2 daily

Augmentin ER 1,000 X 2 daily

Tindamax 1 tablet Fri pm, Sat am + pm, Sun am only

Artane: 2mg daily

Prozac: 20mg daily

B12 2,500mg periodically

Vitamin D 2,000 IU periodically

Coenzyme Q-10 200mg day

Vitamin C 500mg periodically

Florastor 2 daily (Saccharomyces boulardii, 250mg)

Probiotic CP-1 2 daily (Acidophilus + Bifidus, 50B)

Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS 5B/capsule X 1 daily

We are on Azihtro/Cedax/Alinia (cyst buster, anti-parasitic).... daily. Twins are also on three antibiotics.

Our older son takes the following to combat yeast:

-hdProbiotics (1.2 trillion units per day)

-Epicor (pre-biotic for good yeast)

-Olive Leaf Extract (1,800 m.g. per day)

Last time we tested in Sept. he did not have a problem with yeast.