ACN Latitudes Forums

Another update from Cunningham and the Pepsi Refresh Project PANDAS

P_Mom

Pepsi funds have been used to begin experimentation on antibody producing cell lines previously produced in our laboratory from Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder(PANDAS). Our hypothesis is that autoantibodies are produced against the brain after infections and can signal receptors on neuronal cells in the brain to be abnormal and cause neurologic, movement and behavioral disturbances. We wanted to study the immune cells and the anti-autoantibodies which may be the cause of the disease. First, we hired Dr. Jonathan Zuccolo, a B cell immunologist from the University of Calgary. The funds allowed us to be able to hire an expert in antibody producing cells (B cell immunologist). Dr. Zuccolo has begun to grow and investigate 3 groups of human hybridoma B cell lines producing autoantibodies from PANDAS. The cell lines were cultured by tissue culture in Iscove's Modified Dulbecco's medium and the antibodies produced by these cell lines were analyzed for reactivity with brain autoantigens which may be targeted in PANDAS. These experiments test for binding and then also for functional signaling properties of the autoantibodies which may be their mechanism in disease. These studies will use the second half of the PEPSI funding to complete these experiments. We will acknowledge PEPSI in all published works from this study.

Just so everyone knows....I am sharing everything I can. I have no specifics on dates or what the outcome of this research will be. Remember, it is research, so, who knows what will come of it....we can hope for the best. Atleast someone is researching PANDAS and trying to give us answers....hope, etc.

All I have to share is what is posted...sorry, but, we are going to have to wait........."the waiting is the hardest part."