ACN Latitudes Forums

Screaming --- Any kids had that? How do you deal with it?

CZL

My son has been screaming for about more than 3 weeks now, that is loud and heart-broken screaming.

Often extreme loud screaming just after he lies down for sleeping.

Looks like he is doing not too bad when he is outside, maybe he controls a little bit better when others are around.

Is this a tics or OCD? Any kids had that? How did you deal with it?

Thanks,

My son has been screaming for about more than 3 weeks now, that is loud and heart-broken screaming.

Often extreme loud screaming just after he lies down for sleeping.

Looks like he is doing not too bad when he is outside, maybe he controls a little bit better when others are around.

Is this a tics or OCD? Any kids had that? How did you deal with it?

Thanks,

screaming at something or screamy/screechy like someone being attached/stabbed...

sounds like something with digestion to me

for ds it is gut issues...either yeast or bacterial or parasites..any time we did something that would somehow address possible gut issues directly or indirectly the vocals remit

look towards yeast, clostridia, parasites, klebsiela(sp)there's also one called gardis(sp)lake parasite..

Hi CZL! Are you new here? Haven't seen previous posts.

Anyway, about the screams. I know of only a couple/few cases that involved shrieks/screams. It is indeed unsettling to say the least! It is a compulsion that can't be helped. Try these things (if you haven't already): Limit overstimulation close to bedtime, such as t.v., video, etc. Melatonin may help get him really tired first, and maybe take hot shower first? Other "calming" things include magnesium citrate drink prior to bed. Also, meat with tryptophan, such as turkey, may help. Does he have PANDAS diagnosis? Has he had any treatment?

My son's scream happened during the day, not at night. It may be a short lived thing, hope so anyway. My son's lasted only a week or so, and happened only when he rode in the car. It is a strange and scary thing.

oh yes, we have blood curdling, piercing screams. The started at the begining of it all, not as frequent, but still present when she is set off by a trigger= she is triggered by certain words. The screams to me sound like she is being tormented in her mind, she used to want to die when she was going thru that, I don't hear her talk like that as much, but I think it is because she has been dealing with this since last April, and she now knows the moment will pass, can't console her when she is going through it though. We thought we were dealing with clearly PANDAS... elevated titers, good response to abx. Even though she has improved after 4 ivig, she is still dependent on abx and not as well as she should be, so we dug a little deeper- and I got news she has a positive lyme test just this week. I am still processing that one, not sure which direction we will go with treatment yet. But I will keep posting about her progress. I have been very skeptical of lyme, but I have been educating myself, read "cure unknown" and I am suspicious of why so many PANDAS, kids are clustered on the east coast, where there is a much heavier wooded area. Seems we are so far behind in both diseases, but I am begining to wonder about the link.... Sorry for rambling.. I really just wanted to say that we share the screaming issue with you and understand how difficult it is. Prayers to you.

Screaming/shrieking, oh yes! This is the symptom that I have the hardest time with. DS7 shrieks repetitively at the top of his lungs. It rattles my nerves no matter how strong I am with all the other stuff. Sometimes he does it until he loses his voice! The shrieking seems to happen when he is ramping up with increased symptoms (anxiety, ODD, etc) and I can see it coming. Then a trigger will set him to shrieking, usually a simple frustration. He also shrieks exactly the same way if he is in pain, so sometimes it takes a while for me to figure out what is going on. One time it was so bad our neighbour came over to see what on earth was going on in our house (windows closed!!!).

I don't have any great solutions. When I can see he is becoming agitated I work extra hard to keep him from getting frustrated. But obviously I can't predict and avoid every single trigger. His shrieking was much much worse on Augmentin, and also worse on Biaxin. We're assuming lyme and herxing - his WB was negative, but mine is positive and he's been like this since birth. We're waiting to see a LLMD.

there is a thread on the lymes board about the vagus nerve...and we had some discussion about biaxin...you are about the 5th-6th person i can put to the correlation. It could be herx..that is when ds started, about a year ago....i don't think we will do biaxin again as i will not survive it. We had a couple other variables in play...it well have kicked yeast way up too.

When our DS shrieks, it is out of his distress over an OCD compulsion. First he might shriek because he's trying to beat back the compulsion, then he'll shriek if he fails to beat it back and gives in, only to discover it really was OCD after all and not something logical, legitimate, and necessary.

The shrieking has decreased as he's recovered, and now it's more or less limited a couple of tenacious compulsions. To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't do it outside the home at all, probably out of restrictions he feels due to peer pressure more than anything else.

My ds18's is a form of distress also. He shrieks when the noise from the rest of the family is messing up his tics. He says that he is unable to talk when a series of tics hits him & that's the closest he can come to telling everyone to stop making noise till it's over (in addition to helping drown out the noises that are messing him up).

Thankfully, that's one of the few things that was helped by low dose zoloft because that is one of his problems that was stressing the family out the most. Ever tried keeping a 3yo completely quiet for an unknown length of time? DS18's sound sensitivity hits extreme levels during this time, & if we whisper, he says it sounds like we are shouting in his ears, we cannot even sigh during those times without messing him up. And if we mess him up, it increases his tics episode, not additively, but exponentially. :(

Us Too!!!! We have just moved from having 3-4 screaming like someone is killing her episodes throughout the day and her wanting to die as well, to maybe one per night usually at bedtime when the intrusive thought of getting sick panics her. After about 3-4 weeks of the screaming she started to calm a little and then two weeks ago we started high dose augmentin combined with Azithro and we are seeing escalation of the screaming at night again and more episodes during the day. The new abx regimen was started after we saw an LLMD. Could be herxing.

We just got the CD57 result in which was 41, and we are waiting for a couple more tests to confirm lyme.

Prayers and Hugs to your family, the screaming and hearing your child say I want someone to help me is just too much to bear some days. You are not alone and hope this phase will pass.

Sharon

Us Too!!!! We have just moved from having 3-4 screaming like someone is killing her episodes throughout the day and her wanting to die as well, to maybe one per night usually at bedtime when the intrusive thought of getting sick panics her. After about 3-4 weeks of the screaming she started to calm a little and then two weeks ago we started high dose augmentin combined with Azithro and we are seeing escalation of the screaming at night again and more episodes during the day. The new abx regimen was started after we saw an LLMD. Could be herxing.

We just got the CD57 result in which was 41, and we are waiting for a couple more tests to confirm lyme.

Prayers and Hugs to your family, the screaming and hearing your child say I want someone to help me is just too much to bear some days. You are not alone and hope this phase will pass.

Sharon

OH YES!! DD11 is a big screamer. It was horrifying when it started. She too, would want to die. I was very fearful for a long time that the neighbors would call the authorities thinking we were harming here. Back in November, she reacted badly to Lexapro (before we even KNEW about PANDAS) and she screamed for days on end all day long. Now she screams primarily when she has to shower, or late at night when she's tired. She's come to a point where she will warn us before the scream comes so we can cover our ears or leave the room. At times, she will get into a screaming "jag" and her eyes will dialate and we know she is somewhere else. Its awful. I have no good strategies for dealing with it except to tell you to try to ignore it -- the more we feed into it, the worse it gets.

After her steroid burst, the screaming went away for a couple weeks. Its back now. She's having her first IVIg this week.

Edited by advocatemom