ACN Latitudes Forums

Activated Charcoal Timing and a good Probiotic

I know you I'm to space the charcoal at least 2 hours from ABX but what about supplements, probiotics and ibuprofen.. Should I give charcoal before or after bedtime supplements. He is in a major herx right now and I need to give him the charcoal to help him be more comfortable, but he also takes some supplements right before bed that are pretty important. I also just gave him ibuprofen for a bad headache and I want that to work also. The timing of the meds is so hard.

Also when we were on Augmentin he took Culturelle but still got C-diff. Any suggestions on the best pro-biotics to use from someone who has avoided C-diff and been on abx a while.

Thanks,

Cindi

I'm not a detox expert - but I think of charcoal like a sponge. It's going to soak stuff up indiscriminately. We too give bedtime supplements and yet bedtime and morning are always when DS feels the worst. So if I have to give charcoal, I try to give it at lunchtime (hrs away from bfast and dinner abx) or if it has to be at night, he takes bedtime supplements (which for us is just probiotics) and then we finish the bedtime routine and read for 30 min. Then he takes a charcoal just before lights out. That at least gives other things a little bit of time to run for the hills and maybe survive.

The other thing you can try is alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) which is best taken on an empty stomach in the morning but can also be taken any time during the day and with abx. ALA is supposed to stimulate the body's production of glutathione and acts as a detox agent.

So maybe ALA and/or other detox supplements in the morning and a charcoal as needed at lunch or, worst case, for a few nights right before bed? Charcoal can be binding, so be careful if you give it for more than a few days at a time...

We used to use Culturelle - LLMD switched us to Theralac - 30 Billion CFU daily and if needed, TruFlora 1 pill 2x week for yeast. We see much better results than we did with the Culturelle.

Edited by LLM

We just returned from seeing Dr. B this week for DD11 and I specifically asked about probiotics to avoid C-diff issues. She's never had it, but of course, none of us want to add that to the list. We have had her on Culterelle for a long time and his nurse told us that is what he suggests. We started her on the pediatric Culterelle and at first, she liked the taste, but then decided she couldn't take it, so I switched her to the adult capsule & have somewhat better success getting her to take that one - he and the nurses both said the med refusal will improve (along with refusing baths, brushing teeth, hair, school, etc). He wants her to take the adult capsule twice daily.

My daughter had c-diff Sept 2006, May 2007, and April 2010. She has been on antibiotics since June 2009...treating with high doses for Lyme since this September. I give Florastor & Culturelle, but my fav product is Klaire ther-biotic support "detox" probiotic. It contains 50 billion cfu per capsule. I give it every night before bedtime. Sometimes I give Custom Probiotics as well. I ususally separate abx/ bentonite clay 3hours (at least 2) from probiotic...too afraid it may diminish it's effect.

We just returned from seeing Dr. B this week for DD11 and I specifically asked about probiotics to avoid C-diff issues. She's never had it, but of course, none of us want to add that to the list. We have had her on Culterelle for a long time and his nurse told us that is what he suggests. We started her on the pediatric Culterelle and at first, she liked the taste, but then decided she couldn't take it, so I switched her to the adult capsule & have somewhat better success getting her to take that one - he and the nurses both said the med refusal will improve (along with refusing baths, brushing teeth, hair, school, etc). He wants her to take the adult capsule twice daily.

If needed, you can open the capsule and add to applesauce, exc.