ACN Latitudes Forums

Clean Multi Vitamin for Son with Tics / Anxiety?

cory2605

My 8 year old started having tics and intrusive thoughts approximately a year ago. After lots of researching (and Doctors with not much help) our family decided to change the way we ate. We are gluten free, preservative free, and no food dyes. It's not so hard once you get the hang of it. Although my dear mom gives him foods she thinks are fine (NOT) when he goes to her house. Anyway, I have him on Natural Calm at night (1 tsp) as well as Inositol (500mg) at night as well. It seemed that his tics were slowly getting better as well as his fears. But this past week they suddenly emerged with a vengence. I had just started him on Taurine and the 2nd day his tics started back up so I didn't give it to him again. I'm wondering if giving him the Magnesium and Inositol without also giving him a good clean multi is getting him out of whack????? I'm guessing it could only help but I don't know of a good brand that is not super expensive which does not contain food dyes and other junk. Any ideas? Thanks and my prayers are with you all! Oh, and one more thing, my husband and I are trying to engage him a little more in talking about his day, good and bad, so that if their is any anxiety that we are not aware of, it might help to talk about it. He's a boy and like his Dad doesn't like to talk about fears, worries, problems, etc. Any thoughts on this?

cory2605

Hi,

Sorry that your son is having a rough time right now. A good clean multi vitamin is Kirkman's Spectrum complete. We use the powder form and mix it into a drink or applesauce. It is dye/preservative and gluten free.

I know that Mommyfor4 (Megan) uses one called Progressive and she has had good results with that one too.

Good luck!

Hi cory2605,

As far as ways to help with discussing day etc. we have found that a though box works pretty well. With four kids, he's the oldest, he doesn't always get that perfect moment to talk with us, so we have a box that he can use to write or draw and then put in the box and in the evening we can read and discuss what's going on. Has been really helpful and his frustration level fell bigtime! I also try to set some game time during the week, they seem to talk more openly when engaged in another fun activity. Hope some of this helps.

I saw mythree (Lisa) already told you about the Progressive Kids Chewable we use, but I understand that it may be a bit hard to find in the U.S. Regardless of which you choose, I personally believe the multi is one of the most important things we have added, working hand in hand with eliminating offending foods etc.

Megan

Hi Cory

some people just do not seem to react well to the taurine, although for most people with TS it seems beneficial

If your child does not have TS, that may be why you saw a reaction to it

I do agree that a balance of all the needed nutrients is important. The B vitamins are essential for all neurological conditions so do be sure your son is getting enough of those, preferably via a good multivitamin

Hi Cory,

My son was dx with TS a year ago and just starting having intrusive thoughts a few months ago. We used a great book called "What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck" by Dawn Huebner. Its a workbook to do with your child using CBT methods. It was extremely helpful. We also use Inositol, Progressive multi, mag/zinc, extra C and coQ 10. We have recently switched to gfcf and have followed Feingold for some time.

Also, wanted to note that Progressive is now available on Amazon. It still ships from Canada so it takes a while but it's easy to find.

Good luck!

Lisa