ACN Latitudes Forums

Arthritis/ Mital Valve Prolapse

Guest pandas16

Guest pandas16

I was wondering how many parents children were also diagnosed with arthritis and mitral valve problems alongside with PANDAS?

I have clear cut PANDAS- however I also was diagnosed with arthritis and mitral valve prolapse due to rheumatic fever. Does anyone else have this? I actually don't mind either or them. I use the mitral valve prolapse as an excuse to stay on abx proph and I use the arthritis as an excuse to get immune drugs- actually works out well.

Edited by pandas16

I was wondering how many parents children were also diagnosed with arthritis and mitral valve problems alongside with PANDAS?

I have clear cut PANDAS- however I also was diagnosed with arthritis and mitral valve prolapse due to rheumatic fever. Does anyone else have this? I actually don't mind either or them. I use the mitral valve prolapse as an excuse to stay on abx proph and I use the arthritis as an excuse to get immune drugs- actually works out well.

My husband's side of the family has a lot of anxiety issues, and also a lot of mitral valve prolapse/relapse -- never bad enough to warrant medication. When my husband first started being treated for his panic issues, the psych suggested a book called "The Anxiety Disease", and in there it mentions a higher correlation with mitral valve issues and anxiety...

Some day, I think, people are going to realize that strep/pathogens are more insidious and stealthy...

How was the mitral valve prolapse diagnosed? Did you have any symptoms?

My youngest developed a murmur (systolic) when he was 3 1/2, during a high fever, bizarre illness wish rashes, fever, vomiting, diarrhea. I thought it was Kawasaki or rheumatic fever and I am still not 100% convinced it was not, but the echo and ekg came back normal. He did not have that murmur on Saturday at the ER when 5 different docs listened to his heart, yet had it 3 days later.

My mother has a history of rheumatic fever and scarlet fever as a young adult. She developed arrythmias a few years ago at the age of 65. She has three valves involved (she is looking for cardiology report to see if it is mitral valve). Her doctors basically blew it off as nothing she needs to treat nor worry about. She was never on prophylactic antibiotics after her rheumatic fever b/c she was 19 and they said she did not need it.

I think this could all be related and am not sure if I should be having workups on me and the rest of my children.

Colleen