ACN Latitudes Forums

Newbie update...

ladyd

Ozimum,

May I ask what state you're in? I would love to find a doctor like the one you have, but we're in the middle of Kansas. Wichita is 2 hours away, so that would be no problem at all if I could find one there. And our Pediatric Neurologist is in Denver.... Honestly, I'd pretty much go anywhere to find a wonderful doctor!

Hi bcbmommy,

I'd be happy to share dr info but sorry to say I'm in Australia - might be a bit far! But Our Biomed/DAN! doctor was trained by American doctors who travel to Australia to do workshops with practitioners here, so I'm sure you'll find someone where you are. I suggest you check out the Autism Research Institute (was Defeat Autism Now! hence DAN!)...they used to have a list of practitioners who asked to have their contact details on their website, (though they can't vouch for them). I don't know if they still have that list online, but if not it might be worth contacting the autism community nearest you as they may be able to direct you to a biomed doctor. (Keep asking around...some in the autism community may not be that familiar with alternative doctors, but there will be some who are.)

I think there is a Yahoo Biomed group... you might be able to get some suggestions there? (There's a Yahoo Biomed group in Australia and I'm pretty sure there are others.)

Otherwise you might be able to locate an integrated/holistic doctor - one who has done further training in something like naturopathy, homeopathy etc. Like everything, some are better than others, so ask around. If I hadn't found our biomed doctor when I did, I would have taken my son to a good naturopath. They just seem to get it! (I now see one for myself.)

Good luck!

Edited by Ozimum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladyd,

I think we met on my other post. :) These threads were very helpful to read. I hope that you continue to see improvements. It's heartening to read positive stories. Do y'all happen to follow a diet or food program? I'm so new to this and I don't know what to look out for. I thought I'd stop giving my son milk but didn't stop cheeses or yogurts. He was also on goat's milk. What would be another alternative to milk?

I worry about the diet because my son is a skinny 45 pound 8 year old. He needs lots of calories. How do I do that while sticking to the strict diet? Do I also cut out all sugars? Geez, how do I do that?

Ladyd, I'd like to agree that our kids are quite courageous. My son goes to school ticcing as loudly as ever but still comes home a happy guy. If only I could follow in his example.

Nola

Hi Nola,

Hang in there. This isn't as hard as you think and it's surprising how quickly you get used to it. If you think milk might be a trigger for your ds, then by all means eliminate it from his diet...which includes dairy product in processed foods, as well as cheese and yogurt. (You can try bringing these back in slowly one by one later to check for any reactions. But you need to eliminate first.) Check ingredients labels for hidden milk solids! It tends to turn up where you'd least expect it.. You may see an improvement over a few days to a week or two but it may take longer. Keep a daily journal of what you see so you can be objective.

Milk can be replaced with rice milk, or a nut milk such as almond milk or a blend of one of those with coconut milk. Better yet try a smoothie by blending fruit eg banana with a mixture of coconut milk and rice milk or a nut milk. As your sweetener try one of honey, pure maple syrup, xyletol or stevia. Give him plenty of meat and vegetables. Make meat stews and grate veggies into them - Spag bol is good for that. Does he like avocado? Make coconut milk based icecream as his treat (add pure cocoa if he likes chocolate and it isn't a trigger, or use fruit such as berries or banana to flavour. You will find ways of feeding him up, even on a dairy free diet. You can do this. Good luck!