ACN Latitudes Forums

Thoughts on Fish Oil and Vitamin D

Bigal

Hi

I wrote several weeks back that my 9 yr old son Wyatt was really benefiting from Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil. I wrote that his tics had lessened by about 80%. Chemar than added though that fish oil makes many TS children tic more. And they benifit from other sources of OMega 3.

Soon after that dialogue, Wyatt's tics started to get worse. Luckily there was a post on this forum mentioning that Vitamin D can make tics worse. Just about two weeks earlier, I had started W on a new multivitamin because his Dr said he should be getting more Vit D. So I got a multi that had 100% of his RDA. The tics increased soon after. I didn't make the connection until reading about Vit D. I went back to the old multi and the tics have gone back to the previous mild state.

So I'm back to the old multi and I'm not really sure what to do about the Vit D. I'll certainly try giving him more sushi, which he loves. Perhaps, I'll give him one of the high Vit D multis once a week.

But the real point of this post relates to the fish oil. I've read more about fish oil, specifically cod liver oil. One of the publicized benefits of fish oil is high Vitamin D content (which is good for most people). However, the fish oil that I'm using, for one reason or another, has virtually no Vit D.

Perhaps the reason fish oil has worked well for Wyatt and not other TS children is that the type that I gave him does not have high levels of Vitamin D.

Food for thought.

Alan

Edited by BigAl

Guest pandas16

Hi

I wrote several weeks back that my 9 yr old son Wyatt was really benefiting from Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil. I wrote that his tics had lessened by about 80%. Chemar than added though that fish oil makes many TS children tic more. And they benifit from other sources of OMega 3.

Soon after that dialogue, Wyatt's tics started to get worse. Luckily there was a post on this forum mentioning that Vitamin D can make tics worse. Just about two weeks earlier, I had started W on a new multivitamin because his Dr said he should be getting more Vit D. So I got a multi that had 100% of his RDA. The tics increased soon after. I didn't make the connection until reading about Vit D. I went back to the old multi and the tics have gone back to the previous mild state.

So I'm back to the old multi and I'm not really sure what to do about the Vit D. I'll certainly try giving him more sushi, which he loves. Perhaps, I'll give him one of the high Vit D multis once a week.

But the real point of this post relates to the fish oil. I've read more about fish oil, specifically cod liver oil. One of the benefits of fish oil is the high Vitamin D content. However, the fish oil that I'm using, for one reason or another, has virtually no Vit D.

Perhaps the reason fish oil has worked well for Wyatt and not other TS children is that the type that I gave him does not have high levels of Vitamin D.

Food for thought.

Alan

This is so interesting to me! I tried vitamin D because I saw that low levels of it was correlated with autoimmune disease, and it made my tic sooo much worse just 3 days after trying it. I just let it go. I can't take any multi vitamins because they have vitamin D. I just make an extra effort to eat healthy.

my son tics more with fish oil, but takes a daily vitamin D3 supplement for his (autoimmune) Crohn's Disease, and he does *not* tic more from the vit D so that does not seem to be the problem for him.

I guess this is one of those issues again where the unique biochemical environment in each person is what determines these sensitivities and reactions

My daughter tics from fish oil and Vitamin D. Your post made a light bulb go off in my head as to whether the D was the problem in the fish oil. I went and checked on the brand we tried and it does have D, but just minor amounts. I'm just not sure if that is the problem or not.