ACN Latitudes Forums

Good sorethroat friendly food?

Already asked PixiesMommy (my go-to girl for food questions) but figured I'd post on here for more suggestions. Obviously I've had strep a whole whole lot, but I never have to accommodate a sore throat like I do this time! What goes over well with your kids? Cos I'm honestly clueless here. Rice noodles were easy last night, but that's about all I've got.

Are you dairy-free as well?

If not, yogurt and/or frozen yogurt, or maybe Tofutti.

Applesauce is a big go-to around here, especially chilled in the fridge before eating.

We make smoothies with fresh fruits, yogurt and ice -- bananas, berries, etc.

Miso soup! Yum! There're a couple of brands available at the Asian counter in the grocery that simply require you to add hot water, or even cold water plus the microwave, and they're actually quite good!

Not terribly filling, but soothing- squeeze a fresh lemon into a mug, add boiling water and honey. Both the lemon and the honey are antibacterial as well. I can't get Allie to drink this (or anything hot), but it works great for my other 3 kids.

MomWithOCDSon ~ Not dairyfree. Won't drink milk but that's just because I think it's beyond gross. Yogurt is an awesome idea! Do the acids in the fruit smoothie not bother your son's throat? I tried to drink lemonade yesterday... Didn't go too well, haha. & Miso soup sounds like a good one too! Throw some tofu in there. Is that not made with some kind of meatbroth though? I have no idea, just asking. :) Thank you!

Peglem ~ Me & Allie have that in common! I've ALWAYS hated hot drinks. Not just "hated"... literally can't drink them. I have no idea why. At the worst of the Narcoleptic symptoms I would make coffee the night before & then put it in the fridge overnight. Thank you for the idea though! I'll see if I can't figure out something with honey & lemon that's cold. If I do I'll let you know!

MomWithOCDSon ~ Not dairyfree. Won't drink milk but that's just because I think it's beyond gross. Yogurt is an awesome idea! Do the acids in the fruit smoothie not bother your son's throat? I tried to drink lemonade yesterday... Didn't go too well, haha. & Miso soup sounds like a good one too! Throw some tofu in there. Is that not made with some kind of meatbroth though? I have no idea, just asking. :) Thank you!

We keep the smoothie pretty smooth . . . more "smoothie" than fruit, except for the banana, when either DS or one of us has a sore throat; as long as the citrus is contained, it hasn't been an issue; the yogurt really takes the acidic sting out of most of the berries. Yeah, I would definitely stay away from citrus: lemonade, orange juice, etc.

I'm sure miso varies, brand to brand, but the one we get is by Tsunami. It's called "natural Tofu Miso Soup, and here's the list of ingredients: soybean paste (soybean, rice, water, salt), water, salt, vegetable protein, bonito extract, yeast extract, seaweed extract, tofu, and green onion. There's no chicken stock, but it does say "Contains soy and fish." Not sure where the fish is in that unless it's in the "bonito extract" since I have no idea what "bonito" is!

Feel better soon!

Edited by MomWithOCDSon

Thank you Nancy! I'll stay away from Bonito (which means pretty boy in Spanish? Haha!) but I will look at some brands! & bananas are a great idea!

Colleen ~ I can't gargle. Not like, I think it feels weird & won't do it, I just CAN'T gargle. Believe me. We've tried that too many times to count over the years. I've found that just holding the salt water in your mouth doesn't do much good either. Thank yoU!

Thank you Nancy! I'll stay away from Bonito (which means pretty boy in Spanish? Haha!) but I will look at some brands! & bananas are a great idea!

:lol: I Googled it. It's a fish in the mackerel family. So if your vegetarianism includes no fish, then I guess this particular brand is out for you. No pretty boys, though! :P

Edited by MomWithOCDSon