ACN Latitudes Forums

Sydenham's Choes or PANDAS

So I finally got the records from our vist with the neuro. As he told me she has a dx of OCD, anxiety and possible ADHD but he also thinks she has Sydenham's Chorea. From what I've read that is just like PANDAS so is there really any difference and if he thinks she has that why wouldn't he dx PANDAS? I guess I just need reassurance that we are dealing with PANDAS no matter what the doc calls it.

thanks

So I finally got the records from our vist with the neuro. As he told me she has a dx of OCD, anxiety and possible ADHD but he also thinks she has Sydenham's Chorea. From what I've read that is just like PANDAS so is there really any difference and if he thinks she has that why wouldn't he dx PANDAS? I guess I just need reassurance that we are dealing with PANDAS no matter what the doc calls it.

thanks

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of people who dispute it but to me Sydenham's is the same, except it's been in more literature and a more accepted diagnosis. The differences are that there are bigger and more adventitious movements with Sydenham's than pandas...but both have adventitious movements. (or I think the going rate is 30% of pandas patients). But to me, it's all the same thing on a spectrum.

You will have an easier time of obtaining the care your child needs if diagnsosed with Sydenham's.

My daughter was originally diagnosed with PANDAS in September by Dr. L (probably have had it for a few years) and when we had a fever/ infection in December went back and she diagnosed Sydenham's Chorea. The doctor says we pretty much treat them the same (close cousins in disease) and often look the same, antibiotics until she's 18 or so. My daughter's chorea has been around for a few years, nothing overly obvious but visible when you really take a look at her movements and how she sits still (never), etc. Her PANDAS symptoms and chorea spike whenever she gets sick and December's chorea was the worst we have seen in years. I would be happy to talk offsite and compare notes.

Dr. L did tell me that it would be easier insurance-wise getting treatment for Sydenhams. Good luck!